adding to a pre-built pivot table group

cogswel__cogs

Board Regular
Do i have to ungroup and then regroup with new data or is there a way to add a new record to a already established pivot table grouping?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Is it that the source data has new records and you are wishing to update the PivotTable to reflect that addition?

Upvote 0
I grouped fields within a a pivot field. However occasionally a new priorly ungrouped new unique in that pivot field record comes in. These grouping allow my dashboard to chart in a particular way on a dashboard I built. However when a new ungrouped record comes in it reports the data in certain areas of my dashboard as a new group, being it was never assigned to a group.
Right now I have to manually have to ungroup add them all again with the new. Would prefer to automate this process so dashboard on update will look for priorly unassigned (new) field records and assign them to Miscelaneous gropu I already have created that captures oddities.

Upvote 0
Grouped fields within a Pivot Field?
To me that is a Date driven function found with a Right-Click. So I am unsure of your method of grouping.
The other grouping method would be by definition through use of another field, and that could be automated through Get&Transform or Table formula.

Upvote 0
Say I have three workers that report to Bob,
If I have a pivot table field with workers, within the pivottable I can right click and group the three and name group BOB.
It forms an eniterly new pivot field, and groups them as Bob and the rest are names unless I group other to another manager.. I can now set all my sales groups this way even though there is no real mgr field in the data.
However when a new employee comes I need to add him to a group. However the only way I know to do this is manually, was hoping to code it so when I recognized a new employee, code would send him to a group.
Ialso use similar grouping technique when using pivot charts as it allows me to display multiple selections in the chart as one item. But when a new item comes along it messes up chart and I have to set groups again.

Upvote 0
sorry about the time.
I am testing in 2013, and cannot get any Group Option in the Pivot Table as you've described. Should I go to my 2016 version, or am I missing something in 2013?:confused:

However, your original question will have the same solution regardless. You need the Mgr data somewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it works in either.
IF you are in a pivot table, in a particular column(pivot field) select two or more of the items.
Right click and select group.
It should group those items for you and create a new field in the pivottable usually referencing the prior field and addiing a (2).

Upvote 0
?
Did get the grouping. Not sure what difference kept me from doing previously.
Recorded the steps, and it is pretty lacking for a programmatic method.

Upvote 0
Did some further searching and to my understanding it cannot be done in vba. Of course my understanding is frequently wrong..
I already adjusted my report manually and unless a new department is created it should not be a problem, but some other similar grouping that I was going to do I revised pumping in new fields into the data before the pivots get refreshed and use those fields.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBV123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back