IF and LOOKLEFT and LOOKRIGHT functions

bill351

Board Regular
Hey Guys n Girls I am trying to automate a data spreadsheet with the above functions.

What I have is spreadsheet to record Higher Duties and Column A is Payroll Number Column B is the staff name via a drop down box and Column C is their current pay increment so I have started on a formula =IF(AND(B3=Data!B2:B128),LOOKLEFT,Data!A2:A128) that is in Higher Duties A3 and what I am trying to achieve is a pick from the drop down box a staff name "Bob" in Data B3 it then looks in the DATA sheet B2:B128 finds "Bob" and looks left and enters his payroll number in Higher Duties A3

Also same as above "Bob" is in B3 and =IF(AND(B3=Data!B2:B128),LOOKLRIGHT,Data!C2:C128) and the formula would look through C2:C128 find Bob,s increment and that would appear in Higher Duties C3.

looking at this it looks messy and I hope I have explained well enough

Many thanks in advance

Cheers from Oz

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Never heard of LOOKLEFT and LOOKRIGHT functions. Which XL version are they from? Google does not return anything

Upvote 0
Never heard of LOOKLEFT and LOOKRIGHT functions. Which XL version are they from? Google does not return anything

OP must be a Beta Tester for Excel 2030:eek:

Upvote 0
I feel you just need a simple vlookup.

enter your employee name in cell E1 and apply formula =VLOOKUP(E1,B2:C6,2,0)
here column B will have all the employee names and column c will have increment values.

Upvote 0
They are either defined names (as there are no brackets afterwards, so can't be functions), or they are just placeholders for the function the OP wants created, I guess.

Upvote 0
They are either defined names (as there are no brackets afterwards, so can't be functions), or they are just placeholders for the function the OP wants created, I guess.

Seems logical

Upvote 0
Thank you vmjan02 that looks like it will work and please excuse the clumsiness of how I tried to explain what I needed to do

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back