Loop through folder and Copy values and Formats of first sheet into summary sheet

Reiss

I have been working through VBA code that copies the first sheet in a workbook from a folder to another workbook("Master").

The code copies the data correctly but upon saving I get certain cells with errors (#Ref) this is due some of the copied cells having formula.

I would like the copied to data to retain the original formatting but to only have values.
Or alternatively the cells with the 2 errors are M11 and O11 which have an index match formula, if these 2 cells values could be pasted without formula the rest of the copied data will be fine.

I have tried to use PasteSpecial xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats and .PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats but I am not sure how to amend the copy function.

Code:
[COLOR=#242729][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Sub[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] MergeMultipleWorkbooks[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]()[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
<code style="font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; white-space: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: inherit;">[COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]
    [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Dim[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] Path[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit],[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] Filename [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]As [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]String[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]

Path [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]"C:\Users\User\Desktop\ProMacro\"[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]
    Filename [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] Dir[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Path [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]&[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]"*.xlsx"[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit])[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Do [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]While[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] Filename [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]<>[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]""[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]With[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] Workbooks[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Open[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Filename[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]:=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Path [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]&[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] Filename[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit],[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]ReadOnly[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]:=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]True[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit])[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]
            [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Worksheets[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]1[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]).[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Copy After[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]:=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]ThisWorkbook[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Sheets[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]1[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit])[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] 

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Close [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]False[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]
        [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]End [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]With[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]

Filename [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] Dir[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]()[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]
    [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Loop[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]

MsgBox [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]"Files has been copied Successfull"[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit],[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit],[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]"MergeMultipleExcelFiles"[/FONT][/COLOR]</code>[COLOR=#242729][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]End[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Sub[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Try this:

Code:
Sub MergeMultipleWorkbooks()    '
    Dim Path, Filename As String
    '
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    Path = "C:\Users\User\Desktop\ProMacro\"
    Filename = Dir(Path & "*.xlsx")
    '
    Do While Filename <> ""
        With Workbooks.Open(Filename:=Path & Filename, ReadOnly:=True)
            .Worksheets(1).Copy After:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1)
            .Worksheets(1).Cells.Copy
            ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("A1").PasteSpecial xlValues
            .Close False
        End With
        Filename = Dir()
    Loop
    MsgBox "Files has been copied Successfull", , "MergeMultipleExcelFiles"
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Dante thank you for the reply, I tried the code but get an error 'Run time error-1004 Paste special method of Range class failed'.

The error belongs to
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("A1").PasteSpecial xlValues[/COLOR]
seems to be an issue with the paste values

Upvote 0
Try this

Code:
Sub MergeMultipleWorkbooks()
    '
    Dim Path, Filename As String
    '
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    Path = "C:\Users\User\Desktop\ProMacro\"
    Path = "C:\trabajo\books\"
    Filename = Dir(Path & "*.xlsx")
    '
    Do While Filename <> ""
        With Workbooks.Open(Filename:=Path & Filename, ReadOnly:=True)
            .Worksheets(1).Copy After:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1)
            ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Cells.Copy
            .Close False
        End With
        Filename = Dir()
    Loop
    MsgBox "Files has been copied Successfull", , "MergeMultipleExcelFiles"
End Sub

Upvote 0
So I am looking for something similar to what you have posted here. I need to take a specific worksheet from several different excel files and place each worksheet on its own sheet in a master file. The following code does all that but I need it to copy and paste the data as values. The worksheets have lots of sumif formulas on them and they won't work unless the master file is open. Any suggestions on how to edit the following code or how to modify the one provided above for my needs? Thanks in advance!

Code:
Sub CombineSheets()
    Dim sPath As String
    Dim sFname As String
    Dim wBk As Workbook
    Dim wSht As Variant

Application.EnableEvents = False
    sPath = InputBox("Enter a full path to workbooks")
    ChDir sPath
    sFname = InputBox("Enter a filename pattern")
    sFname = Dir(sPath & "\" & sFname & ".xl*", vbNormal)
    wSht = InputBox("Enter a worksheet name to copy")
    Do Until sFname = ""
        Set wBk = Workbooks.Open(sFname)
        Windows(sFname).Activate
        Sheets(wSht).Copy Before:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1)
        wBk.Close False
        sFname = Dir()
    Loop
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
So I am looking for something similar to what you have posted here. I need to take a specific worksheet from several different excel files and place each worksheet on its own sheet in a master file. The following code does all that but I need it to copy and paste the data as values. The worksheets have lots of sumif formulas on them and they won't work unless the master file is open. Any suggestions on how to edit the following code or how to modify the one provided above for my needs? Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if I should answer in this thread or you should create a new thread, but I'll send you the answer.
Try and tell me

Code:
Sub CombineSheets()
    Dim sPath As String
    Dim sFname As String
    Dim wBk As Workbook
    Dim wSht As Variant

Application.EnableEvents = False
    sPath = InputBox("Enter a full path to workbooks")
    ChDir sPath
    sFname = InputBox("Enter a filename pattern")
    sFname = Dir(sPath & "\" & sFname & ".xl*", vbNormal)
    wSht = InputBox("Enter a worksheet name to copy")
    Do Until sFname = ""
        Set wBk = Workbooks.Open(sFname)
        Windows(sFname).Activate
        Sheets(wSht).Copy Before:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1)
        ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Cells.Copy
        wBk.Close False
        sFname = Dir()
    Loop
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Could you help with a small issue, when I ran the code initially it would copy the files and close the open workbooks without saving changes.
When I run the code now I get a prompt asking me if I would like to save changes to the file that the info has been copied from .
I would like to prevent this prompt as there may be more than 50 files being copied from the folder.

I haven't changed the code posted in your reply, I did try the below but without luck.
.Close savechanges:=False

Upvote 0
I have added the following to the code which seems to have resolved my issue.

Code:
.Saved = True
            .Close False

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodeCybear

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back