Macro error message - Hidden worksheet

audiate

Board Regular
Hi there,
I'm using Excel 2007, and I can create macros using the Record Macro button, but if I later try to edit the macro, I get the error message:
"Cannot edit a macro in a hidden workbook. Unhide the workbook using the Unhide Command"

I have no idea WHERE I'm supposed to unhide a workbook.

I once before managed to unhide the personal.xlsb workbook (if only I could remember how!), but then I had the problem that it would always open (in its own window) every time I opened Excel.

Is there some way to stop this from happening altogether? I never had this problem in Excel 2003!

thanks.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Hi there,
I'm using Excel 2007, and I can create macros using the Record Macro button, but if I later try to edit the macro, I get the error message:
"Cannot edit a macro in a hidden workbook. Unhide the workbook using the Unhide Command"

I have no idea WHERE I'm supposed to unhide a workbook.

I once before managed to unhide the personal.xlsb workbook (if only I could remember how!), but then I had the problem that it would always open (in its own window) every time I opened Excel.

Is there some way to stop this from happening altogether? I never had this problem in Excel 2003!

thanks.

This courtesy of Lieth Ross, Excel Forum Moderator:

These macros are probably in your Personal.xlsb workbook. This workbook is hidden when you open a standard workbook. You can locate this workbook in the following directory: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Upvote 0
In the VBE, look in the Project Explorer window, locate Personal, and expand the project to see the modules.

If you wanted to unhide Personal (but there's no need), click Unhide on the View tab.

Upvote 0
In the VBE, look in the Project Explorer window, locate Personal, and expand the project to see the modules.

If you wanted to unhide Personal (but there's no need), click Unhide on the View tab.

Sorry I have trouble following this. Under View Tab in the Personal there is no <Unhide> button. I'm using windows 2010.

Upvote 0
No unhide bitton
[FONT=&quot]On the [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]View[/FONT][FONT=&quot] tab, in the [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]Window[/FONT][FONT=&quot] group, click [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]Unhide[/FONT][FONT=&quot].
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]Unhide[/FONT][FONT=&quot] dialog box, you should see [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]PERSONAL.XLSB[/FONT][FONT=&quot].
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Click [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]OK[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to view the personal workbook.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any macros you save to the personal workbook can be edited only by first unhiding the personal workbook. This prevents you from accidentally deleting or making unwanted changes to those macros.[/FONT]

Upvote 0
Any macros you save to the personal workbook can be edited only by first unhiding the personal workbook.

You can edit macro's in the Personal workbook via the Project Explorer without unhiding the Personal Workbook. Just expand it to show the modules than double click the module or right click the module and click View Code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back