Average while ignoring zeros and errors

LoneScrunger

Hello!

I'm trying to return the average, min and max values of a range that will have errors, be blank or have zeros. I have already found an array formula that works getting rid of the errors but the zeros are now a problem.

{=AVERAGE(IF(NOT(ISERROR(D27:G27)),D27:G27))}

I was thinking that an OR might be needed but for the life of me can't figure out where it belongs. I will also be using this formula with both MIN and MAX in the adjacent cells so it would be great if all I have to do is swap those in for AVERAGE. I'm not keen on how array formulas work, just found an example similar to this on the interwebs, and I'm curious why if the array brackets are removed the value returned is 0 and not an error.

Workbook is proprietary so VB is locked and not an option (not sure if it was but wanted to be clear).

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
try:
=SUM(D27:G27)/COUNTIF(D27:G27,">0")

Upvote 0
sorry didn't notice you had errors.

=SUMIF(D27:G27,">0")/COUNTIF(D27:G27,">0")

Upvote 0
Hello!

I'm trying to return the average, min and max values of a range that will have errors, be blank or have zeros. I have already found an array formula that works getting rid of the errors but the zeros are now a problem.

{=AVERAGE(IF(NOT(ISERROR(D27:G27)),D27:G27))}

I was thinking that an OR might be needed but for the life of me can't figure out where it belongs. I will also be using this formula with both MIN and MAX in the adjacent cells so it would be great if all I have to do is swap those in for AVERAGE. I'm not keen on how array formulas work, just found an example similar to this on the interwebs, and I'm curious why if the array brackets are removed the value returned is 0 and not an error.

Workbook is proprietary so VB is locked and not an option (not sure if it was but wanted to be clear).

Thanks!

Control+shift+enter:

=AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(D27:G27),D27:G27))

Upvote 0
Thanks very much to both of you! Aladin, your formula worked with the MIN function as well (I noticed that I didn't need it for the MAX, since that wouldn't return a zero, right after I posted the question).

Very helpful and I appreciate your input and time.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much to both of you! Aladin, your formula worked with the MIN function as well (I noticed that I didn't need it for the MAX, since that wouldn't return a zero, right after I posted the question).

Very helpful and I appreciate your input and time.

You are welcome. If the range of interest itself might contain error values, the MAX version needs also the ISNUMBER test.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back