Accountant needs Excel help, very difficult formula set up!!!!

TDaoud

Hey!

I am a tax accountant trying really hard to impress my manager...long story short one of our big clients give us a very un organized Excel sheet of there trial balance... and I want to find a quick way to organize it...below is an example of what the excel looks like and what I want to look like... (Bold represent columns and rows of an excel and periods are just fillers)

A .................B ............C .................D.....
1.Cash......... .............$1,234 .........$1,235
2. .........................................................
4.Petty Cash.............. $1,456CR .......1,567CR

We have over 4,000 accounts ... so we have couple of issues... I need to take the account number "1000" and place it in B next to cash. I also need to take any number in column C or D with a "CR" and turn that number into a negative. So it should look like this....

A...................... B..................... C ......................D
1.Cash.............. 1000.............. $1,234 .................$1,235
2. Petty Cash..... 1001............. -$1,456............... -$1,567
3...............................................................................
4...............................................................................

Make sense? Can you please help!!!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Not upload the file that contains sensitive information but create your own sample... I agree with Smitty, uploading a doc is usually not the best way to ask for help and I usually say the same response, but since I have done something similar to this recently, I can take a look at the setup. Do what Smitty recommend and use the HTML maker in his sig.

I wouldn;t use the offset for this.

Upvote 0
I wouldn;t use the offset for this.

Why not?

After the data is organized into a table, it'll be much easier to maniplute more... If everything is exaclyt three rows apart, seems like offset ->paste special values would set up the table nicely.

Upvote 0
@smitty... I'll be honest, not sure how to navigate your MrExcel - Skydrive

Also I have cleaned up the excel so it is the exact spacing of 3 apart from each.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
my understanding is that is pulling information, you wouldn't have the data in the same tab as the TB, too much clutter. You would separate them in different tabs. also if multiple users were using this, I highly doubt people will keep the clean format of three rows apart. But then again it depends on the format so it Offset in this case would work.

Upvote 0
Information is pulled from chart of account, so you can either use the name of account or account # as the lookup value.

Excel 2010
ABCD
1Cash100012341235
2Petty Cash10011456CR1567CR
6Cash100012341235
7Petty Cash1001-1456-1567
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C6=IFERROR(IF(SEARCH("CR",VLOOKUP($B6,$B$1:$D$2,COLUMN(B1),FALSE))>0,-1*VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(VLOOKUP($B6,$B$1:$D$2,COLUMN(B1),FALSE),"CR","")),""),VLOOKUP($B6,$B$1:$D$2,COLUMN(B1),FALSE))
C7=IFERROR(IF(SEARCH("CR",VLOOKUP($B7,$B$1:$D$2,COLUMN(B2),FALSE))>0,-1*VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(VLOOKUP($B7,$B$1:$D$2,COLUMN(B2),FALSE),"CR","")),""),VLOOKUP($B7,$B$1:$D$2,COLUMN(B2),FALSE))
D6=IFERROR(IF(SEARCH("CR",VLOOKUP($B6,$B$1:$D$2,COLUMN(C1),FALSE))>0,-1*VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(VLOOKUP($B6,$B$1:$D$2,COLUMN(C1),FALSE),"CR","")),""),VLOOKUP($B6,$B$1:$D$2,COLUMN(C1),FALSE))
D7=IFERROR(IF(SEARCH("CR",VLOOKUP($B7,$B$1:$D$2,COLUMN(C2),FALSE))>0,-1*VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(VLOOKUP($B7,$B$1:$D$2,COLUMN(C2),FALSE),"CR","")),""),VLOOKUP($B7,$B$1:$D$2,COLUMN(C2),FALSE))
A6=VLOOKUP(B6,CHOOSE({1,2},B1:B2,A1:A2),2,0)
A7=VLOOKUP(B7,CHOOSE({1,2},B2:B3,A2:A3),2,0)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@smitty... I'll be honest, not sure how to navigate your MrExcel - Skydrive

Look for the HTMLMaker20101230 folder; the HTML Maker add-in is located there. If you download it to your PC, then you can goto File-->Options-->Add-Ins and install it. After that you'll see the HTML Maker options on the Add-Ins tab in Excel. For now I'd just select the Default option, then come back here and post the HTML Code in your post (CTRL+V). Note that when the HTML Maker renders your worksheet into code there is no message, but it has been copied to the clipboard. And when you paste it into your post don't worry if it looks like gobbledegook, the board will render it as soon as you submit.

Upvote 0

Book1
ABCD
1Oeh!NiceFeatureSmitty!
Blad1

Can you handle macro's of VBA in your company TDaoud?

Upvote 0
Doesn't seem like it is even downloading to my computer, after highlighting the HTML and click "download" there is no prompt for a download, and I don't see any trace of a download. I am pretty good with the computer, but it seems like there is a restriction on downloads.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back