Timestamping formula for drop down box in Google Docs Spreadsheet

cmcefm

I am stuck. I am trying to add a multiple time stamps to a google doc spreadsheet. I have figured out how to add a time stamp formula to a [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]blank[/FONT][/FONT] column. I created the script below:
function timestamp() {
return new Date()
}

And added the formula: =IF(ISBLANK(F3),,TIMESTAMP(F3)) to the column I wanted the time stamp to appear in, which works perfectly.

Now I am trying to add a time stamp formula based on a column with drop down boxes. I work at a doctors office and I want to know the exact time a physician places an order. I have created drop down boxes that are pre-populated with the most common orders.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that this is a google doc spreadsheet so iteration preferences cannot be changed. I have been at this for hours and cant seem to get it right. I have included the link below. The columns with the drop down boxes that the time stamps will be based off of are H, J, and L. The columns where the time stamp should appear are I, K, and M.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=0

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I have looked at the formula in I4 which is currently =IF(H4<>"",IF(I4="",NOW(),I4),"") however your get a #REF error because the formula refers to the same cell
I4 which means you have created a circular reference which excel doesn't like !

If the formula was =IF(H4<>"",NOW(),"") then if there was and order in H4 a time would appear in I4.

One thing I can't explain is when I do it my clock shows 19.30 but I4 shows 12.30 some 7 hours earlier. Maybe it would work in a current google doc try it.

A second point to consider is because you used NOW() every time the sheet is refreshed i.e. any data added etc the time in the active cells in column I will change to the current time. Is that ok for you. If not some other approach is needed.

I hope that helps

Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back