VBA Performing calculations on discontinuous cell addresses

nort_amgis

Hi, I have some working code that I'd like to expand on. Basically I'll have a bunch of individual cell addresses "AB10", "AD10", ... "CZ10", and so on that i'd like to compile some basic statistics on. But when I try to get the values in a way that's easy to work with, like in this example:

Arrays And Ranges In VBA

I get errors left and right and can't really get a solid start on something that should be pretty simple. The size of the array will be variable, so the code will ideally be dynamic. Or if I could just get away with using the application functions, I'd be happy with that since the data is usually only a few hundred lines.

If it's not clear what I'm asking/trying to do, please just point me in the direction of a working examples where the average, min, max, etc are calculated from a range of discontinuous (not contiguous) cells or a 2 dimensional array of data.

Or just post some pseudo code that you're confident will work, really anything helps, thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
See if this very simple example helps. Suppose you want to calculate the AVG and SUM of values in Sheet1 A2, C2 and F2 (non-contiguous cells on the same row, for example).

Something like...
Sheet1

A
B
C
D
E
F
Value1​
Value2​
Value3​
10,4​
12,8​
20,1​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Try
Code:
Sub aTest()
    Dim rngRange As Range, dblAverage As Double, dblSum As Double

Set rngRange = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2,C2,F2")
    'Calc Average
    dblAverage = Application.Average(rngRange)
    MsgBox dblAverage
    'Calc Sum
    dblSum = Application.Sum(rngRange)
    MsgBox dblSum
End Sub

or using a Variant Array
Code:
Sub bTest()
    'Using a variant array
    Dim vRange As Variant, dblAverage As Double, dblSum As Double

'Pass the values of columns [COLOR=#0000ff]1, 3, 6[/COLOR] of the range A2:F2 to a variant array
    vRange = Application.Index(Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2:F2").Value, 1, Array([COLOR=#0000ff]1, 3, 6[/COLOR]))
    'Calc Average
    dblAverage = Application.Average(vRange)
    MsgBox dblAverage
    'Calc Sum
    dblSum = Application.Sum(vRange)
    MsgBox dblSum
End Sub

Hope this helps

M.

Upvote 0
I suspect Marcelo's suggestion is better than mine, but an alternative approach would be to copy all the cells into a contiguous area of a clean new worksheet and do the calculations there.

Upvote 0
I suspect Marcelo's suggestion is better than mine, but an alternative approach would be to copy all the cells into a contiguous area of a clean new worksheet and do the calculations there.

That was one way I was doing things, but apparently you can go from Range to Array fairly easily in VBA and an array doesn't need need a sheet to write to, just upper bounds and ReDimming when necessary.

Marcelo, that works, thanks! Had to take the comma out though, heh. Looks like I was referencing the range incorrectly like "A2", "C2", "F2", which is wrong. I'm going to play around with this for a bit, I'll reply here if anything else comes up.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back