Thread: Communication methods

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Communication methods

Greetings Excellers!

I'm currently working on a workbook with lots of UDFs and other volatile functions. Trust me, I've done my research and the UDF/volatile function mode is the preferred method in this instance. (The key phrase is "in this instance.") I also have other workbooks where macros/recalculations take extended periods. Recalcs take exponentially longer if more than one workbook is open. And occasionally I turn off automatic calculation which I know can cause all kinds of headaches that I should warn users about.

My question to all of you is: How do you communicate this information to users? I have tried inserting a "Read Me" sheet in workbooks but it never gets read. If the workbook already has macros I've inserted messages when the workbook is opened. How do you handle this?
    I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow. --Woodrow Wilson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Communication methods

I create a "front page" for my user workbooks. It includes stats for the data, instructions, known bugs, as well as noted comments so they click the correct things. Generally format it in a way that is appealing to look at and organized. That way the user is more inclined not to skip the important stuff.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I may not give the best VBA codes, but they sure are VBA codes.
    Help me help you by posting a snapshot of your data & your expected result
    Please use [ code][ /code] tags when posting VBA as well as proper indentation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you wanted to be a stickler you could create a password that someone can only know if they read your readme

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeSkate View Post
    if you wanted to be a stickler you could create a password that someone can only know if they read your readme
    You have a little evil streak, don't you? I think we will get along just fine.
    I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow. --Woodrow Wilson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TinaP View Post
    You have a little evil streak, don't you? I think we will get along just fine.
    I ABSOLUTELY am evil. its a necessity to be evil to your end users. Otherwise they break everything.

Some videos you may like

User Tag List