invitation to become a member of DRAFT

around lunch I decided it wasn't worth doing any real work today
-hatman
It takes you that long?
I show up here at 6AM and usually by about 7 I come to that conclusion.
:biggrin:
6AM ?
that's early to be at the Office :confused:

how do you define "real work" ?
sometimes I feel my real work is to encourage people to show their real face :biggrin:

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I define Real Work as anything I can get paid for... if you are getting paid to get people to show their real face, sign me up: that's the best deal I've heard in a while...

I rather suspect my best hopes lie in the other direction -- extortion -- I strongly suspect I have a better chance of people being willing to pass the hat and chip in a tuppence to pay me not to use any really close, in-focus photos for avatars. :eek:

OK - maybe I'm reading in something that ain't there... but seems to me that you Brits are kinda using "drafter" in a manner a bit different than what we Yanks are used to seeing. Here a "drafter" would be someone that draws up an idea or a rough draft of a document or speech. Or it might be used to refer to a draftsman, i.e. someone that prepares building- or mechanical drawings for an architectual or engineering firm. But between our member onlyadrafter's sig and now Jamie's question; you chaps have me scratching my noggin wondering if "drafter" is some type of slang word in the UK?

So here is what Dictionary.com has to say:
1. a drawing, sketch, or design.
2. a first or preliminary form of any writing, subject to revision, copying, etc.
3. act of drawing; delineation.
4. a current of air in any enclosed space, esp. in a room, chimney, or stove.
5. a current of air moving in an upward or downward direction.
6. a device for regulating the current of air in a stove, fireplace, etc.
7. an act of drawing or pulling loads.
8. something that is drawn or pulled; a haul.
9. an animal or team of animals used to pull a load.
10. the force required to pull a load.
11. the taking of supplies, forces, money, etc., from a given source.
12. a selection or drawing of persons, by lot or otherwise, from the general body of the people for military service; levy; conscription.
13. the persons so selected.
14. Sports. a selecting or drawing of new players from a choice group of amateur players by professional teams, esp. a system of selecting new players so that each team in a professional league receives some of the most promising players.
15. British. a selection of persons already in military service to be sent from one post or organization to another; detachment.
16. a written order drawn by one person upon another; a writing directing the payment of money on account of the drawer; bill of exchange.
17. a drain or demand made on anything.
18. draft beer.
19. an act of drinking or inhaling.
20. something that is taken in by drinking or inhaling; a drink; dose.
21. a quantity of fish caught.
22. Nautical. the depth to which a vessel is immersed when bearing a given load.
23. Also called leave. Metallurgy. the slight taper given to a pattern so that it may be drawn from the sand without injury to the mold.
24. Metalworking. a. the change in sectional area of a piece of work caused by a rolling or drawing operation.
b. a taper on a die or punch permitting it to be withdrawn readily from the work.

25. Masonry. a line or border chiseled at the edge of a stone, to serve as a guide in leveling the surfaces.
26. Textiles. a. the degree of attenuation produced in fibers during yarn processing, expressed either by the ratio of the weight of raw to the weight of processed fiber, or by the ratio between the varying surface speeds of the rollers on the carding machine.
b. the act of attenuating the fibers.

27. an allowance granted to a buyer for waste of goods sold by weight.
–verb (used with object) 28. to draw the outlines or plan of; sketch.
29. to draw up in written form; compose.
30. to draw or pull.
31. to take or select by draft, esp. for military service.
32. Masonry. to cut a draft on.
–verb (used without object) 33. to do drafting; work as a draftsman.
34. (in an automobile race) to drive or ride close behind another car so as to benefit from the reduction in air pressure created behind the car ahead.
–adjective 35. used or suited for drawing loads: a draft horse.
36. drawn or available to be drawn from a cask rather than served from a sealed bottle: draft ale.
37. being a tentative or preliminary outline, version, design, or sketch.
—Idiom38. on draft, available to be drawn from a cask rather than from a sealed bottle: imported beer on draft.

I figured they have been referring to definition 19 (heh heh)

Yes, I too looked for clues at dictionary.com prior to posting my question. However, the text you quote is for draft not drafter so I thought I'd ask our friends across the pond for more info.

Yes, I too looked for clues at dictionary.com prior to posting my question. However, the text you quote is for draft not drafter so I thought I'd ask our friends across the pond for more info.

It's I guess DRAFT'er, not drafter. DRAFT, being an acronym, Erik gets "drafter" by analogy to linguistic objects like drink+er, an unfortunate homonym of "drafter" you think of. Some would possibly construe DRAFT'er as close to draftee...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinneytwin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back