Office 365 - Access is exporting to Excel with range names

pliskers

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm getting an error when I open Excel files that have been exported from Access in Office 365. In researching this I see that part of the issue may be range names that are coming over in the export. I have NOT checked the box to export formatting. How can I prevent this data (which is being exported as an xlsb format) from being exported to Excel with range names that I don't want?

Thanks in Advance!

The error says :[h=2]Removed Records: Named range from /xl/workbook.bin part (Workbook)[/h]

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
If you want to know why this happens, you'll need to describe your export procedures. Access doesn't have named ranges in it so its not clear why you would be getting this error. However, you may find your workaround is fine too. Personally I also like to export to CSV or text files in many cases.

Upvote 0
That's what I did as a workaround. I'm simply using an Access macro with the Import/Export Spreadsheet function, tried with both regular Excel .xlsx and Excel Binary .xlsb options. The export happens, but when I open it I get the error message prompting me to recover whatever data it can. The data appears to be there, and if I re-save it the error goes away after re-opening it. It's very weird. There are no special characters or spaces in the file name.

Upvote 0
Named ranges are not filenames or tab names. If Excel is removing them then in general I would not expect your data to be affected or the workbook to be unusable.

Is this a brand new workbook you are creating when you do the export?

Upvote 0
Okay. Well in my humble opinion there should be no range names in the workbook so the error can be ignored :)

Upvote 0
I guess templates are a possibility - it could explain how you could be creating a default workbook (i.e. a new workbook) that has range names in it. Not sure why anyone would do that (I wouldn't think that named ranges belong in templates unless you have a very good reason to do so and know what you are doing). But it's a possible reason.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back