Office 365 - Access is exporting to Excel with range names

pliskers

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm getting an error when I open Excel files that have been exported from Access in Office 365. In researching this I see that part of the issue may be range names that are coming over in the export. I have NOT checked the box to export formatting. How can I prevent this data (which is being exported as an xlsb format) from being exported to Excel with range names that I don't want?

Thanks in Advance!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I have never heard of range names being exported from Access. You'll have to provide more details about your export procedures and perhaps the reasons why you suspect this is the problem.

For that matter you might as well also specify what the error is that you are getting when you open the Excel files too, which could be helpful for understanding the problem

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In an Access macro, when selecting Import/Export Spreadsheet, there is an option called "Has Field Names". I was saying that this has been left as the default "No" in running my process.

Upvote 0
Field names are not range names. But I'm still not sure what your problem is. Have you tried "yes" instead of "no"?

Upvote 0
Yes, I did. I tried all kinds of renaming of the query that is being exported. It worked with a three-letter name, but went back to the error message with six letters - no blanks, no special characters. It's really odd. I am working around it by exporting as a text file and then importing to Excel.

Upvote 0
Okay if that works then good. Otherwise more details are required. What name are you describing and how are you renaming it? I believe you are talking about a field name, not a query name.

Upvote 0
Talking about the name of the query being exported as the name of the Excel file and the tab.

Upvote 0
Okay. Still need more details to diagnose. I have never heard of a six character name being a problem for filenames and tab names in Excel - assuming you are using a name that is valid for a filename and valid for a tab name (i.e., file names can certainly be six characters long and same for tab names, assuming naming rules are followed).

I'm trying to get the point across that details are required because everything you are describing is not a problem so far.

Upvote 0
I understand. The amount of detail would be exhaustive and I’ve tried everything I’ve found in posts by others who report the same issue and error message. I’ll make due with my workaround, and there’s a good chance that this is a bug, which from what I’ve read it may well be.

Thanks for replying.

Upvote 0
I may be blind but I still don't see the error message

what is the the exact message you're getting ?

and are you saying that if the query name is abcde then the tab name is abcde
but if the query name is abcdef then it doesn't export and you get an error ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back