Add Names to Multiple Cells using Array

dturgel

Board Regular
I'd like to define names for 52 cells and do it with one array. I recorded the naming of one range and learned the .Names.Add Name:= notation so I'm wondering can that be combined with an array. I'm getting a 438 object error when I try the following - any ideas?

Code:
Sub TestNameArray()
With ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Summary FOT")
                        .Range("BH124:DG124").Names.Add Name:=Array("MCTSI2AKNewImportL1", "MCTSI2ALNewImportL1", "MCTSI2ARNewImportL1", "MCTSI2AZNewImportL1", "MCTSI2CANewImportL1", "MCTSI2CONewImportL1", "MCTSI2CTNewImportL1", "MCTSI2DCNewImportL1", "MCTSI2DENewImportL1", "MCTSI2FLNewImportL1", "MCTSI2GANewImportL1", "MCTSI2HINewImportL1", "MCTSI2IANewImportL1", "MCTSI2IDNewImportL1", "MCTSI2ILNewImportL1", "MCTSI2INNewImportL1", "MCTSI2KSNewImportL1", "MCTSI2KYNewImportL1", "MCTSI2LANewImportL1", "MCTSI2MANewImportL1", "MCTSI2MDNewImportL1", "MCTSI2MENewImportL1", "MCTSI2MINewImportL1", "MCTSI2MNNewImportL1", "MCTSI2MONewImportL1", "MCTSI2MSNewImportL1", "MCTSI2MTNewImportL1", "MCTSI2NCNewImportL1", "MCTSI2NDNewImportL1", "MCTSI2NENewImportL1", "MCTSI2NHNewImportL1", "MCTSI2NJNewImportL1", "MCTSI2NMNewImportL1", "MCTSI2NVNewImportL1", "MCTSI2NYNewImportL1", "MCTSI2OHNewImportL1", "MCTSI2OKNewImportL1", "MCTSI2ORNewImportL1", "MCTSI2PANewImportL1", "MCTSI2RINewImportL1", "MCTSI2SCNewImportL1", _
                        "MCTSI2SDNewImportL1", "MCTSI2TNNewImportL1", "MCTSI2TXNewImportL1", "MCTSI2UTNewImportL1", "MCTSI2VANewImportL1", "MCTSI2VTNewImportL1", "MCTSI2WANewImportL1", "MCTSI2WINewImportL1", "MCTSI2WVNewImportL1", "MCTSI2WYNewImportL1", "MCTSI2oTHERNewImportL1")
End With
End Sub

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Simple question, why you would like to create 52 different names for a SINGLE RANGE?

@Sixthsense, I'm pretty sure that the OP wants to create 52 different names- one for each cell in the 52 cells of .Range("BH124:DG124").

@dturgel, You can't use that syntax to create those names in one step from the array. You could:
1. step through each element of the array defining each name using a loop. or
2. if the cells above or below the range to be named are empty, you could temporarily write your array to those cells then use the Range.CreateNames method.

Upvote 0
Jerry, thanks!

I found the Range.CreateNames method explanation here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff192960.aspx

For some reason the bottom is not working - am I missing something? In the following code, cell A8 is not getting named even though cell A9 has a value in it - what do you think?

Code:
Sub CreateNamesBottom()
Set rangeToName = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A8:C9")
rangeToName.CreateNames Bottom:=True
End Sub

Upvote 0
For some reason the bottom is not working - am I missing something? In the following code, cell A8 is not getting named even though cell A9 has a value in it - what do you think?

I've used that method manually before, but not through VBA.

I was able to replicate the problem you describe, and it appears to be due to the Excel trying to use both the Bottom Row and Left Column to define the names. That shouldn't happen, since the documentation says that the default for the Optional Parameters is False.

Nonetheless, the code seems to work consistently by explicitly providing arguments for the Optional Parameters like this

Code:
 Dim rangeToName As Range

Set rangeToName = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A8:C9")
 '--don't show warnings if names already exist
 Application.DisplayAlerts = False
 rangeToName.CreateNames Top:=False, Left:=False, Bottom:=True, Right:=False
 Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back