Adding results to each other

maxon

Hello Guys,

I probably have a silly question but it blocked me totally :)

I have a below formula, which is counting the data from one sheet:

Code:
Dim IMPORTcount As Integer
IMPORTcount = Sheets("IMPORT").Cells(ROWS.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

and I have also second formula, which is counting X's from second sheet:

Code:
With Sheets("DBCR").Range("O1")
    .FormulaR1C1 = "=COUNTIF(R[1]C:R[1999]C,""X"")"
    .Font.Bold = True
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 6
    .HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
End With

How can I add the first results to the second formula, so COUNTIF(R[1]C:R[1999]C,""X"")" + IMPORTcount?

And second question - is it possible to count X's in cells if for example I have in cell XXXXX <- I would like to count it five times, so result should be 5, not 1 - excel can do that?

Thank you
Max

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Try with "Application.Worksheetfunction" instead of FormulaR1C1

Then, your O1 Cell will contain the sum like that. (try this code)
Code:
Dim Rng
Set Rng = [COLOR=#333333]Range("A1:A1999")<change range="" to="" where="" you="" look="" for="" your="" x's

</change>[/COLOR]

Dim IMPORTcount As Integer
IMPORTcount = Sheets("IMPORT").Cells(ROWS.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
[COLOR=#333333]Sheets("DBCR").Range("O1").Value = [COLOR=#333333]IMPORTcount + [/COLOR]Application.Worksheetfunction.Countif(Rng, "X")[/COLOR]

Of course set your Range (Rng) to where you look for your X's

For your second question (counting within cell)... I don't know unfortunately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks bukimi for your reply.
Problem is that I need to insert active formula, which will be counting X's when users are inserting them, thats why I used R1C1 formula. Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf counts during macro working...
Maybe you have any idea how to build a code this way and connect it with the formula from your second reply?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that I have to add new column, where will be inserted formula =LEN(O2), which will present number of characters in cells in column O and then next formula above them to sum all of the results, but its also need to be active formula. Hmmm... am I right? but how to connect it with the ImportCount variable.

Upvote 0
You can't have a variable in an active formula as you may think. The only solution is to replace variable with formula, too.
(another workaround is having a macro to calculate variables after any cell changes, but it's not very efficient solution)

IMPORTCount checks which Row is the last row with any data?
Then, again taken from Exceljet:
Code:
           =[URL="https://exceljet.net/excel-functions/excel-min-function"]MIN[/URL]([URL="https://exceljet.net/excel-functions/excel-row-function"]ROW[/URL](rng))+[URL="https://exceljet.net/excel-functions/excel-rows-function"]ROWS[/URL](rng)-1
Where rng is your range. As far as I can see it's whole column A in another sheet.
Add the code above (put it in brackets) with the solution I linked earlier (which is also active formula).

Let me know if it's helpful. It should work without VBA. I have some difficulties with testing this solution by myself, because 1) I don't have data sheet 2) My Excel is in another language and I need to translate all formulas to use them...

Upvote 0
Thanks bukimi and sorry for reply after 3 weeks but i had no access to my computer. I have finally changed to formula into
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(O2:O2000))+COUNTA(IMPORT!A:A)
and it works actively counting current number of signs in O column and also number of lines in other sheet. Once again thanks for you time and advices!

Upvote 0
Its maybe an easy question but why if I use following code:
Code:
Sheets(1).Range("O1").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(O2:O2000))+COUNTA(IMPORT!A:A)"
the result of macro is adding ' sign like this:
Code:
"=SUMPRODUCT(LEN([COLOR=#ff0000]'[/COLOR]O2:O2000[COLOR=#ff0000]'[/COLOR]))+COUNTA(IMPORT!'A:A')"
so I have to use
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(R[1]C:R[19]C))+COUNTA(IMPORT!C[-14])

thanks

Upvote 0
Case solved, I have found solution on forum, I forgot that I used r1c1 formula, instead of just formula. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back