Advice on how to visually flag certain cells in a way that can be recognized by formulas as well

Rnkhch

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

In my score sheets, I was thinking to come up with a way to flag certain cells that I can visually associate with certain characteristics. For example if a student was sick and got a low score, I want that cell to be flagged. And I need my formulas to be able to recognize these flags. That way, I can for example write a conditional formula that performs the default calculation if the cell is not flagged, but a special calculation or perhaps omission if the cell is flagged:

B1=IF([A1 is flagged],[special calculation],[default calculation])

My understanding is that formatting is not recognized by Excel formulas, so I don't think I can use bold font or strikethrough or underline etc. as ways to flag cells.

Any advice would be highly appreciated! Hopefully without the need for VBA :)

Thanks a lot!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
If you use conditional formatting to change how the cell looks (fill color, font characteristics, etc.), you will have to test the same formula you used in the conditional formatting to produce those formats inside your own function. In other words, you cannot test for the effects produced by the conditional formatting, but you can test for the condition used to induce those conditional formats.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back