Align/match columns with nearly same text

Benefits Recon

Hi all,

I've found this forum after hours of google searching/researching. I've seen some fantastic examples that I've tried to amend to work for my situation, but am failing miserably.

Here's my issue:
Sheet 1: "monthly insurance invoice", column a- names (last first) & column b- premium amount charged
Sheet 2: "diffed internal report", column a- names (last first sometimes middle initial at end) & column b- premium amount deducted
Sheet1 usually contains more names than sheet 2. The amounts must travel with the names, but I need one final sheet that has each name matched up and combined when matched, and blank spaces where data is missing from the opposing sheet. I'm working with about a thousand rows on each sheet.

Unfortunately, the restrictions on the machines where I work won't allow me to download the html uploader, so I'm not sure how best to illustrate what I'm needing. Any suggestions?

If there is a better way of displaying the final result, or even trimming off the middle initials at the end of the name cells- I'd be happy to try that as well!

Any help would be so very appreciated.

Thanks again!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I've now realized that I have a SSN column on each report. Is there a way to match the numbers in those columns so that the other data associated will trail along?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back