Array Correlation Coefficient formula with Multiple Criteria/Variables

smittyb

Hi, i'm having an issue finding a correlation coefficient from 2 datasets (arrays) where the data meets 2 or 3 conditions.

i have 2 sheets 'Primary' and 'Twin'. On both sheets i have variables (text) in columns A, J, and K and the data to correlate (numbers) in column F.

i want to be able to correlate the data in the F columns where the variables in columns A, J, and K are equal to the values i select from dropdowns which i have in cells B2, D2, and AD1 on a seperate sheet (so there can be several different combinations of variables).

while the number of records on each sheet that match the selected variable combination will be similar they will not always be the same (if ever).

i know that i can add a condition to the array formula for just one criteria (per sheet) like so...

=IFERROR(CORREL(IF($B$2<>"",IF(Primary!$A$2:$A$5001=$B$2,Primary!$F$2:$F$5001),Primary!$F$2:$F$5001),IF($D$2<>"",IF(Twin!$A$2:$A$5001=$D$2,Twin!$F$2:$F$5001),Twin!$F$2:$F$5001)),"*")

the false argument in the above simply correlates all the data if the variable is set to null.

the above works but if i try to add a second variable it fails with a value not available error like so...

=IFERROR(CORREL(IF($B$2<>"",IF(Primary!$A$2:$A$5001=$B$2,IF(Primary!$K$2:$K$5001=AD1,Primary!$F$2:$F$5001)),IF(Primary!$K$2:$K$5001=AD1,Primary!$F$2:$F$5001)),IF($D$2<>"",IF(Twin!$A$2:$A$5001=$D$2,IF(Twin!$K$2:$K$5001=AD1,Twin!$F$2:$F$5001)),IF(Twin!$K$2:$K$5001=AD1,Twin!$F$2:$F$5001))),"*")

interestingly the above will give a value for some variable combinations but not others. i've checked and there are no null values or divisions by zero errors. once you add the second varialbe all of a sudden the number of records being correlated on each seem to have to be equal. it's just not playing the game!

anyone got any clue about the best way to tackle this?

Cheers,

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back