attempt to reference another worksheet in a countif formula opening up documents folder

snipescc

Board Regular
I everybody. I'm having an odd problem. I have a large spreadsheet with lost of tabs, one for each employee. I'm using Windows 7 and Excel 2010.

We need to get totals of what they have done for the week, organized by teams. But the teams change on a fairly regular basis. My plan was that someone trying to pull a report would put the employee's code in one cell, and that code would be put into a countif statement that would tell excel to pull the counts from that employee's tab.

Name
count
Scottr
=COUNTIF('a2'!AU:AU,TRUE)
Benj
=COUNTIF('a3'!AU:AU,TRUE)

<tbody>
</tbody>

The idea is that people could just type in names where the teams are that week, and they wouldn't need me to redo things. Good in theory.

But when I type in the formula, and hit enter, it opens up the documents folder. And when I close that it gives me the #Value! error. My first plan had been to use a vlookup inside the countif statement, but when that didn't work i tried to simplify it by just having it reference the cell to the left. Anyone ever had a formula open up the documents folder before, or have a good idea oh how I can have a formula that uses another cell to reference what worksheet it should look at?

Thank you very much.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
I everybody. I'm having an odd problem. I have a large spreadsheet with lost of tabs, one for each employee. I'm using Windows 7 and Excel 2010.

We need to get totals of what they have done for the week, organized by teams. But the teams change on a fairly regular basis. My plan was that someone trying to pull a report would put the employee's code in one cell, and that code would be put into a countif statement that would tell excel to pull the counts from that employee's tab.

Name
count
Scottr
=COUNTIF('a2'!AU:AU,TRUE)
Benj
=COUNTIF('a3'!AU:AU,TRUE)

<tbody>
</tbody>

The idea is that people could just type in names where the teams are that week, and they wouldn't need me to redo things. Good in theory.

But when I type in the formula, and hit enter, it opens up the documents folder. And when I close that it gives me the #Value! error. My first plan had been to use a vlookup inside the countif statement, but when that didn't work i tried to simplify it by just having it reference the cell to the left. Anyone ever had a formula open up the documents folder before, or have a good idea oh how I can have a formula that uses another cell to reference what worksheet it should look at?

Thank you very much.

If 'a2' is in fact cell A2, with a sheet name in it, you'll need:

=COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!AU:AU"),TRUE)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moudenourd

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back