Auto-Fill Drag Down Stopped Working All of a Sudden?

Clearview

Hello, the function to drag-down with the mouse and autofill adjacent cells in Excel suddenly stopped working. I was working on a worksheet when I noticed that my crosshair wouldn't change to black when hovering over the corner of any cell anymore.

I've opened a new blank worksheet, and tried filling rows 1-5 with the numbers '1','2','3','4','5', and tried dragging from 5 onwards but the cursor simply stays white.

I tried going to 'options', 'advanced', and under 'editing options' the "Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop" box is checked.

I've pressed F9, pressed F8, nothing works.

It's very frustrating how my god **** cursor just stays white. Can it be possible for an excel installation to go corrupt in a couple of hours after working on very, very loaded worksheet to the point that the cursor autofill stops working? Sounds stupid, but I don't know what else could be the reasoning.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me out on this issue, thanks.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Two things I can think of:

1. You've managed to set calculations to manual.
2. You've filtered the data.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem with Excel 16. My cursor may be pointing at cell B6 but when I click on it, it picks up C7 (which is the bottom of the arrow). Also, the pointer is not changing to a cross-hair to adjust column width or to allow me to highlight multiple rows. And last, I can't do drag-and-drop. My worksheets are relatively basic, no macros, etc. I have checked that "Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop" are checked on the Advanced Options. This is happening on multiple workbooks not just one file. I've also rebooted my laptop multiple times. Any suggestions on what else I can do?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back