Auto future date calculations between one column to another with remider? *Help*

AnxietyComplex

Hello all,

I am a novice and before writing this post I did try to see if this question had been answered previously.

I have data in a date format in column "I" which I would like to be automatically entered in the neighbouring cells in column "J" but with 3 months added to the original date I would be putting in column "I".

In addition,

Is there also a way to link these future dates with a type of reminder as I will need to make contact with clients on these dates. A few days prior would suffice.

I am again a novice:p

Thank you for reading my post.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
If your dates are in column I, from rows 2 on, set this formula in J2:
Code:
=IF(I2>0,EDATE(I2,3),"")
Then copy downward for as many lines you need.

You could highlight a cell in column J using Conditional formatting. For example:
-select the range in col J that contains the above formula
-set a conditional formatting using the formula =($J2-NOW())<=5
In this way, when the deadline (col J) is within 5 days from now the cell will highligth according the format choosen when applying the conditional format.

Bye

Upvote 0
Hi

first thing is to check if you have real dates. With Excel, not everything is what it seems.

To check this, see if the date is right aligned in the cell when no custom alignment is applied ( see Home ribbon alignment)
Also to be sure in some empty cell enter =ISNUMBER(I1) where I1 is a cell containing a date. It should return " TRUE". If not, some further investigation will be needed

If you're satisfied that the date in , say, I1 is a real date, to get the date that is three months later, in J1 enter =EDATE(I1,3), and format this cell as a date ( or not if a serial number is OK)

As for a reminder perhaps use a Conditional formatting.
Select your range in the J column, say J1:J100,in the Home tab click " conditional formatting" - click " New rule" click " use a formula"...
In the "format values" enter =$J1-today()<7 ( if you want a seven day reminder) , click Format and select the format you need.
Click OK as needed and you are ready to go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply, could there be any issues using this formula as a reminder system/formula?

=IF(J8=TODAY(),"Send DO","No action required")

I have the date calculations sorted, now. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Looks OK to me

FYI the NOW() function returns date AND actual time ( when sheet is refreshed or changed) When you cope with days, it could, in some cases, be misleading. If so, stick to the TODAY() function

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back