Auto save/ AutoRecover Working Inconsistently - please help

adoy73

Using Excel 2013.

I have used the autosave function frequently. I know to go to File->Options->Save and enable.

-Boxes for for "Save autorecovery" every 10 minutes and "Keep last autosaved version if I close without sending" are checked.
-Autorecovery file location: C:\Users\acctuser\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
-"Disable AutoRecoer for this workbook only" is unchecked.

However, if my computer crashes and I open the above folder, I'll notice that there are no records of some files I've had open all day. However, I know autosave works because it will autosave other files that I had open on the same day. So it seems to autosave files at random. I may have 5 - 6 files open before it crashes. These files are open all day, so I know it has enough time to autosave (since it save every 10 minutes).

It's really frustrating because I expect the autosave function to work (and it does sometimes). But sometimes there is no record of the file at all in the autosave folder, and I have to start my work from scratch.

If I'm doing something wrong I would like to fix it, but considering it autosaves some files and doesn't others, has left me at my wits end.

Please help.

Ps. I know the typical answer is save manually regularly, but is there something that can fix this autosave? Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back