Autop update Data Validation lists from another sheet

jonford

Hi all. Im new to this forum. I have tried looking for the answer before posting this as I realise this question has been posted a few times, but I can never get the example formulas to work on my spreadsheet. So, I will post the scenario and exact cell ref's Im using, in hope that someone can give me the answer. (thanks in advance)

I've put a spreadsheet together showing our fleet cars. When we get a new car, a user will add the vehicle to the list of current cehicles. (worksheet called VEHICLE, the list for adding new vehicles runs from cells A4 to A2000)
To avoid mispelling of makes, I have set up a data validation list on these cells relating to a list on another sheet. This list is on a sheet called SOURCE and in cells A5:A95. The list has been named "Vehicles".

When adding a new vehicle to our fleet, the user would select which vehicle they want to add from the drop-down list. I have got this working fine. The bit I'm struggling with is if I add a new vehicle to the source list, I want it to automatically be available in the drop down list on the main worksheet. Please can someone advise me how to do this (when giving an example, please try to use the cells and worksheet names I have used above).
Just to clarify, below are the cells, worksheet names and data validation list names I have put together:

Main sheet (where users choose new vehicles to the fleet from the drop down list) - called VEHICLES. The drop down lists run from cells A4-A2000

Source sheet where the list of vehicles relate to: Sheet is called SOURCE and the list of vehicles are in cells A5 - A95-I have named the list Vehicles

Any help would be appreciated - please guide as basic as possible - thanks for your time

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi,

If you make the range "vehicles" dynamic, it will automatically adjust to the number of cells you have information in.

Press CTRL & F3 to open the name manager

Select "Vehicle" and press edit

In the refers to portion of the dialog, enter

=OFFSET(SOURCE!$A$5,0,0,COUNTA(SOURCE!$A$5:$A$6000),1)

where SOURCE!$A$5:$A$6000 is a range that is sufficiently large to accommodate any future additions

Click OK

Upvote 0
Hi Dave Sweep. Awesome - thanks,. Cant believe how wasy that was. Spent hours trying to figure out the example ones! Worked straight away

thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back