AverageIF question

kong1802

I have a large set of data. I only want the average of two cells from two separate columns. I'm trying to just get the average of the last two years, by month, of utility expenses. My issue is that I do not want the average if one of the months was a zero. The averageif function seems to want a range. When I try to separate showing that I only want the two cells, the formula will not work. Below is what I'm trying, and it obviously will not work. How do you write the formula to just look at two cells, and not a range?

=AVERAGEif('[Utilities PD 09-2017 (G Strickler).xlsb]Overview'!AS4,'[Utilities PD 09-2017 (G Strickler).xlsb]Overview'!BE4,>0)

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Ok, I figured out a work around. I just did the following:

=('[Utilities PD 09-2017 (G Strickler).xlsb]Overview'!AS4+'[Utilities PD 09-2017 (G Strickler).xlsb]Overview'!BE4)/(('[Utilities PD 09-2017 (G Strickler).xlsb]Overview'!AS4<>0)+('[Utilities PD 09-2017 (G Strickler).xlsb]Overview'!BE4<>0))

Upvote 0
You may have to do

=SUM(Cell1, Cell2)/((Cell1<>0)+(Cell2<>0))

Or is there any way to look at another row of cells to determine which cells to include in the average?
Like a Header row, and only include cells which say "total" (or whatever) in row 3, and of coarse only cells that are not 0.
Then we can use AverageIFS

=AVERAGEIFS('[Utilities PD 09-2017 (G Strickler).xlsb]Overview'!AS4:BE4,'[Utilities PD 09-2017 (G Strickler).xlsb]Overview'!AS$3:BE$3,"Total",'[Utilities PD 09-2017 (G Strickler).xlsb]Overview'!AS4:BE4,"<>0")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back