Basic VBA question re creating generic macro

bstack

Hi Guys
I'm no VBA coder but have used the 'Record Macro' tool to create a basic macro in my Personal Macro Workbook in Excel to tidy up some excel exports that are regularly dumped from one our doc management systems. The recorded script is as below. My basic question is this: I want to be able to run this macro across whatever workbook I have open regardless of the workbook/worksheet name but by default the 'Record Macro' tool appends the name of the workbook and worksheet that I was working in when I recorded the macro. Is there a generic syntax I can use instead?
Thanks!
Code:
    ActiveSheet.Range("Name of file[#All]").RemoveDuplicates Columns _
        :=Array(4, 5), Header:=xlYes
    ActiveWindow.LargeScroll ToRight:=1
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Name of worksheet").ListObjects( _
        "Name of file").Sort.SortFields.Clear
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Name of worksheet").ListObjects( _
        "Name of file").Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range( _
        "Name of file[[#All],[Email]]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order _
        :=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortTextAsNumbers
    With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Name of worksheet").ListObjects( _
        "Name of file").Sort
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
but by default the 'Record Macro' tool appends the name of the workbook and worksheet that I was working in when I recorded the macro. Is there a generic syntax I can use instead?

I see nothing in the code you posted that points at a specific workbook. It references the ActiveWorkbook, so it should run using whatever workbook you have open. But it looks for a specific worksheet called "Name of worksheet". You could change it to use whatever worksheet is active:

Code:
   ActiveSheet.Range("Name of file[#All]").RemoveDuplicates _
       Columns:=Array(4, 5), Header:=xlYes
    ActiveWindow.LargeScroll ToRight:=1
    ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Name of file").Sort.SortFields.Clear
    ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Name of file").Sort.SortFields.Add _
        Key:=Range("Name of file[[#All],[Email]]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, _
        Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortTextAsNumbers

With ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Name of file").Sort
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With

but the active sheet would still need to contain the ListObject "Name of file" to sort

Upvote 0
Thanks rlv01
I think the issue I'm having has to do with your comment that the active sheet would still need to contain the ListObject "Name of file".
The excel reports that are dumped from our doc management system all have different file names so I guess my question is what code can I use so that the macro will run on whatever the active worksheet is, irrespective of the name of the file. Does that make sense?
Cheers

Upvote 0
The purpose of your macro is to 1) Remove duplicates from a table (ListObject) named "Name of file" and 2)Sort that table. If your worksheet has that table ("Name of file") in it, and the table has a column then the modification to your code I posted earlier should work no matter the name of your [I]worksheet[/I] as long at it is the active worksheet. If the [I]table[/I] can be a lot of different names, then things get more complicated.

Upvote 0
Ah, thanks rlv01. That was the knowledge gap - I hadn't realised that was the table name rather than the file name. I've now got a workaround. Cheers!

The purpose of your macro is to 1) Remove duplicates from a table (ListObject) named "Name of file" and 2)Sort that table. If your worksheet has that table ("Name of file") in it, and the table has a column then the modification to your code I posted earlier should work no matter the name of your [I]worksheet[/I] as long at it is the active worksheet. If the [I]table[/I] can be a lot of different names, then things get more complicated.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back