Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2011
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hey everyone. I'm getting close to being finished with a Macro-Enabled Excel workbook I've been working on for a while now. I plan to release it publicly, but do not want anyone to be able to see my VBA code. I know I can password protect it, but I've read that it's fairly easy for someone to still get into the VBA window to view it. I'm wondering what other techniques anyone has used to protect their code?

I've heard of something called Unviewable+, but haven't tried it yet.
https://www.spreadsheet1.com/unviewable-vba-project-app-for-excel.html

Anyone have any experience with it? Or anything else that is similar that they'd recommend?

I suspect Kyle's remark is unfounded and not based on actual experience or documentation
I would have to disagree, I have seen many comments on this site & others, to the effect that Unviewable+ is not totally secure.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
My post isn't unfounded, to the contrary in the past I've had email discussions with the developer of Unviewable+ with regards how simple it can be to view the code. He agreed to reword some of the summary description in light of the emails I sent.

He replied to a thread where I've made similar comments before with a summary we were both happy with:

VBA code was read from Unviewable+ protected files using Windows software, but VBA projects were neither visible nor accessible from within Excel.

It's worth mentioning though that you're probably overly concerned about whether people will steal your code, to quote him directly (and the MVP he contacted about it indirectly):

My perspective on software security might be different from yours. I figure 90-95% of my users wouldn't look at my code even if it were unprotected. Probably 99-99.9% don't realize the password can be bypassed. I don't know how many 9's are in the percentage who would be savvy enough to try to hack beyond U+.

For me, the cost to add a password is minimal. To add U+ is almost minimal, probably on the order of a penny per license. Some of these other approaches require greater costs: the cost to learn new technologies, the cost to require a more complex installation (compiled add-ins, etc.), the invasive cost to actively affect a user's own system.

I also don't use a complicated licensing and authentication scheme, because the costs to add something to my code would be substantial: additional programming on my part, additional libraries to install, a web service to set up, perhaps something invasive for the users.

Most of my users are corporate users, and their IT departments have become sensitive to software copyrights and wary of rogue software.

I was already somewhat comfortable with the VBA password, but U+ is a little better. Maybe I'm naive, but I think it's enough for my needs.

I don't believe anything here would contravene forum rules, but feel free to delete if I've overstepped the mark :)

Upvote 0
I understand that, but if there is a security risk to the VBA tools I've implemented, I need to figure out what that is because this is the first I've heard of it. Where can I find this out, any ideas?
There is a security risk in the Excel VBA tools you've implemented. The ONLY secure solution is to not use Excel as a platform to keep secrets,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back