Best way to send workbook with UDFs?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have some workbooks that friends or family members have asked for. Most of them make use of UDFs that are in my personal add-in module. I don't want to give them the entire add-in module for several reasons. What's the best way to make these workbooks transportable?

If I copy the UDFs to a code module in the workbook, I run into a couple of problems. First, I have to change the filetype to xlsm, which complicated life for the recipients. Second, I have to them remove it for my use or I will have duplicate UDFs, which makes updates error prone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
You could look at creating it as an Add-In and have the user install that, not sure if that would be an option in your case. This would allow them to install it once and then would not need to change the file format each time.

I might be misunderstanding your request.

Upvote 0
You could look at creating it as an Add-In and have the user install that, not sure if that would be an option in your case. This would allow them to install it once and then would not need to change the file format each time.

I might be misunderstanding your request.

My objectives in order of importance are:

1. Simplicity for the other person. Asking them to install an add-in just for this one workbook is probably too much. Giving them a macro-enabled workbook is a nuisance and confusing for non-techies.
  2. Simplicity for me. Having the UDF in two places is a serious complication.

I can't think of a solution that meets both criteria or even really comes close. The least bad solution is probably copying the UDFs to a workbook code module and then deleting it (or commenting it out) after I send it. That eliminates the need to maintain two copies, but requires that I remember to recopy it if I send it out again. (sigh)

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back