Bookkeeping Formula in Excel using perhaps MATCH and SUMIF Functions?

mooonpie

Hi everybody. I'm looking to create a Quickbooks-like excel sheet where I can tag an expense with a specific name and it will auto-populate that same name and sum the amount at the end. What I currently have is the basic =SUMIF($D:$D,"Travel",$C:$C). So what I'm doing is looking at what description is in column B (let's say Rent-A-Car), manually entering "Travel" into column D, then the formula is populating the debit amount in column C (let's say $50). This requires me to manually type "travel" every time I see Rent-A-Car.

What I'm hoping to find out is if I can type "Travel" one-time for Rent-A-Car and some formula will auto-populate "Travel" in Column D for all matching expenses in the formula and sum those totals.

Ex:

DescriptionDebitCategoryTravel SumIfOffice SumIfMeals SumIf
Rent-A-Car-50Travel-50-15-16
Subway-6Meals
Microsoft Office-15Office
Panda Express-10Meals
Rent-A-Car-35_______
Subway-7_______
Microsoft Office-15_______

<tbody>
</tbody>

So in the table above, I'd like to manually enter "Travel" for Rent-A-Car in column C, and it auto-populate "Travel" for Rent-A-Car in column C (underlined in red), which would prompt the SUMIF to add up the amounts in Column B (in this example, add up -50 + -35 = -85 in Column D, Row 2).

Hope that makes sense. This would make my life so much easier as I'm dealing with thousands of transactions. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
You could set-up a lookup table with Description & category, and then use either Vlookup or Index/Match, to return the category.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrSabo83

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back