Build an excel formula from contents of other cells?

jcliffordg

What I'd like to do, is build something like: =1>2, which would of course evaluate out to FALSE. I don't want to just type that into a cell, though. I'd like to be able to have two cells, where one contains "1" and the other contains ">2". Then, as part of a formula in another cell, I want to put those together and evaluate that, so I can use the TRUE or FALSE result to drive the other parts of it. Then, if I need to, I could change either or both cells. For example, if I change the "1"to "3", then it would evaluate to TRUE. Or change the ">2" to "<2", which would also evaluate to TRUE.

I've been playing around with Indirect and Concatenate, but if either of those functions can do this, I don't know how.

If anybody really needs it, I'll go into more detail as to what exactly I'm trying to do, but the rules I have to abide by for the project I'm working on are:

1) Can't use code.
2) Have to have a flexible solution so I or somebody else can make changes in the future.

As you might imagine, once I have this basic solution I'm going to modify it to do much more complex calculations involving more than 2 cells, but I would assume that whatever solution works for this will work for that.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
once I have this basic solution I'm going to modify it to do much more complex calculations involving more than 2 cells, but I would assume that whatever solution works for this will work for that.

Hi, that assumption will almost certainly prove to be wrong, but for the specific example you could try:

Excel 2013/2016
A
2>2
3FALSE
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3=COUNTIF(A1,A2)=1

Upvote 0
For more clarification, I'm really just looking to find out if this kind of thing can even happen. Another closer example might be an If function, where the logical test is built from these cells.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back