Button with moving cell reference

Cat129

Board Regular
Hi All,

I'm not sure how to do this so hoping you can help

I have a button on an excel form and when you click it, it send an automated email to someone to say they approve the document.

What I would also like is for it to put the date they clicked the button and their user name into certain cells. I know how to do the code for this, the issue I have is the button and related cells are at the bottom of the form.

If a user adds or removes rows above the sign off boxes at the bottom in the form the cell reference for the date and name move either up or down. Is there a way to dynamically ensure the date and name always go into the cells adjacent to the button?

The bottom of the sheet looks like the below

RoleNameSignatureDate
DesignerPerson 1Approval ButtonSignatureusername generated by codeDatedate generated by code
Chief EngineerPerson 2Approval ButtonSignatureusername generated by codeDatedate generated by code
Gate KeeperPerson 3Approval ButtonSignatureusername generated by codeDatedate generated by code
Program ManagerPerson 4Approval ButtonSignatureusername generated by codeDatedate generated by code
Data CoordinatorPerson 5Approval ButtonSignatureusername generated by codeDatedate generated by code

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks,
Cat

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
You said:
I have a button on an excel form

Do you mean a Command button on a UserForm?

You said:
If a user adds or removes rows above the sign off boxes at the bottom in the form

What are sign off boxes?
Cells cannot be on a UserForm.

I think I need more clear information.

Upvote 0
You said:
I have a button on an excel form

Do you mean a Command button on a UserForm?

You said:
If a user adds or removes rows above the sign off boxes at the bottom in the form

What are sign off boxes?
Cells cannot be on a UserForm.

I think I need more clear information.

Sorry, its a regular excel document that we use as a sign off form.

I have added in active x controllers which are the green buttons in the image and assigned a macro to them that sends an approval email. The active x isn't inside the cell as such just hovering over. I wasn't sure how to show that in my example
dVo6FK

Currently the top approval box is in row 55. I only know how to write the username and date code when I set it to a specific cell, once it moves because someone has added or removed a row above the code stops working or inputs the information in the wrong place on the document.

dVo6FK

Thank you so much for you help with this

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This will show you what row the button is on
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim rw As Long
   rw = Me.CommandButton1.TopLeftCell.Row
   MsgBox rw
End Sub
But it takes in position from the cell behind the top left corner of the button

Upvote 0
Having a activex button for every row on a sheet and a script to perform a task on cells to it's right could be a difficult task requiring many buttons and scripts

Why not have a user double click a cell which then performs a task on adjacent cells.
This would require only one script and no buttons.

Would something like that work for you?
Show me the script you have in your buttons.

Upvote 0
This will show you what row the button is on
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim rw As Long
   rw = Me.CommandButton1.TopLeftCell.Row
   MsgBox rw
End Sub
But it takes in position from the cell behind the top left corner of the button

Brilliant, I have to be honest I'm not the best at writing in VBA, how would I do the next step? Reference the cell I want the information to be input into.

The first command button would show D55, and I need the username to appear in J55 and the date in N55. How do i reference rw in the vba to ensure it inputs into the correct cell. Would it be something like Range.("J" & rw). ?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why not have a user double click a cell which then performs a task on adjacent cells.
This would require only one script and no buttons.

I didn't know you could do this, I assumed I had to use an active x controller as a button. How would I do that?

Thank You

Upvote 0
So tell me do you have anything in column D starting at row 55? Or is the cell empty.

And if you were to double click on D55 you want Username in J55 and Todays date in N55 is that correct?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back