Calculate average sq. foot for 7 highest priced houses

allhailsandrart

Hey guys, I've been stuck on this question for quite a bit. First and foremost, I want to thank you for any help you can provide. I've lurked on this forum for awhile now, and it is easily one of the most helpful I've ever come across (Excel or otherwise.)

Essentially my instructor has us working through a rather easy HW assignment, in which we are to give the formulas to answer questions in which the correct answer (without formula) is also provided to us - in a locked column in the spreadsheet. I'm halfway convinced that the answer for this specific question is incorrect.

Essentially, cells B7:B131 contain listing prices of homes. Cells G7:G131 contain their respective sq footage. We are asked to give the avg sq footage of the 7 most expensive homes.

I cannot find the equation that results in his given answer. (Emails to teacher unanswered so far.) After unsuccessful attempts - AverageIF, Average(IF, even a roundabout SumIF function I'd be embarrassed to show anyone, utilizing LARGE in most of these - I copied the data into another spreadsheet, applied a custom sort by price, and then averaged the sq footage for the 7 priciest. I returned the answer I got with most of my functions, but not the one given.

Will anyone lend me a hand with this? I have the other ~30 questions on the assignment completely correct, and feel like I have a firm grasp on the material, so this isn't a grasp to get you to do my HW for me. Just looking to see if there is something obvious I've been missing so far.

Thank you so much guys!

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
1. Post an example of your challenge. See the first message on page 1; it provides links to tools.
2. Show the formulas that you tried
3. Show the scaled down question and your expected result.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back