can vlookup jump to different table array on fill down

FuzzyExcel

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for any help offered. I don't think what I'm trying to do is even possible.
So I have a vlookup that looks for a software installed on a PC and if the software is installed it returns Yes and if not installed it returns No. On sheet 1 I have the PC names listed in column A and the software name I'm looking for is listed in the table header going from B to G. When I enter the following formula in B2 and fill across it works brilliantly =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B1,'Installed Software List'!$E$3:$E$98,1,FALSE)),"No","Yes")
But what i would also like to do is be able to fill down and the table array change from $E$3:$E$98 to $f$3:$f$98 and so on.
Sheet 1 looks like this

A
B
C
D
PC Name
Adobe
Project
Snagit
PC001
Yes
Yes
No
PC002
PC003

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet 2 (Installed Software List)

E
F
G
PC001
PC002
PC003
Installed Software
Installed SoftwareInstalled Software
Adobe
Project
IE

<tbody>
</tbody>

Again I don't think this is possible using the formula i'm using. I'm not that good with Excel so any help/advice is greatly appriciated.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not entirely clear on the details, but if your first sheet looks like:

ABCDEFG
1PC NameAdobeProjectSnagitIEExcelWord
2PC001YesYesNoYesNoYes
3PC002NoNoYes
4PC003YesYesYes
5PC004YesYesYesYesYesYes

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Installed Software List

Then you can use this formula on the second sheet:

ABCDE
1PC001PC002PC003PC004
2Installed SoftwareInstalled SoftwareInstalled SoftwareInstalled Software
3AdobeExcelSnagitAdobe
4ProjectIEProject
5IEExcelSnagit
6WordIE
7Excel
8Word

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Table format

Array Formulas
CellFormula
A3{=IFERROR(INDEX('Installed Software List'!$B$1:$G$1,SMALL(IF(INDEX('Installed Software List'!$B$2:$G$98,MATCH(A$1,'Installed Software List'!$A$2:$A$98,0),0)="Yes",COLUMN('Installed Software List'!$B$1:$G$1)-COLUMN('Installed Software List'!$B$1)+1),ROWS(A$3:A3))),"")}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

You can drag the formula down and to the right as needed.

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for your quick response and help with this, I've been trying to work this out for the last week :(. I'm not sure if this formula will work for me. Basically what I'm trying to do is: I have a list of 400 PCs and I have a restricted software list of 11 software/applications. I need to find out if any of the 400 PC's have this restricted software installed on them. So I created sheet 1 and in Column A I put PC name and a list of the 400 PCs and then in B1,C1, D1 etc is the restricted software name. What I was hoping to do was put some sort of formula in B2 that I can drag down and to the right that returns Yes or No if the software is installed or not. In sheet 2 I've exported separate lists for each PC of the software they have installed so basically sheet 2 has a list in each column with the PC name and all software installed on that PC. I've tried using the vlookup but this only works for dragging across but not down. Would your formula work in sheet 1 pulling the data from sheet 2????? Hope this makes sense what I'm trying to do.

Sheet 1

ABCDEFG
2PC001
3PC002
4PC003
5PC004

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet 2

ABCD
1PC001
PC002PC003PC004
2Installed SoftwareInstalled SoftwareInstalled SoftwareInstalled Software
3Word
Adobe
Project
Word
4Excel
Word
Excel
Excel
5IE
Snagit
Word
Adobe

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Looks like I had it backwards. With the sheet layouts the same, try this

ABCDEFG
2PC001YesYesYesYes
3PC002Yes
4PC003YesYesYes
5PC004YesYesYesYesYesYes

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Installed Software List

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B2=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B$1,INDEX(Sheet3!$A$1:$Z$100,0,MATCH($A2,Sheet3!$A$1:$Z$1,0)),0)),"Yes","")

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Change the ranges in the formula to match your sheet. Then you can drag it down and across as needed.

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. That worked perfectly. You are a genius. I would never have worked that out. You saved me hours of manually looking through lists of software.

Thank you so much :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back