Can you get data from multiple Workbooks without opening each one?

PJ0302917

Hi

I have a folder containing 10 workbooks and i'm trying to get data from each Workbook. At the moment i'm using the code below to set the wb object.

Set wb = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=folderPath & filename)

This code actually opens each Workbook. Ideally i want this to be invisible to the user and was hoping VBA would be able to get data from other workbooks in the background. I've had a look at the other functions of the Workbook class and cant see anything that i can use.

If anyone knows how to do this, could you help me out and point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm struggling with the following code, i don't understand the .Formula and =Index code (i assume this is from a previous example?) . I need to get all the data from the worksheet into a MyData 2d Variant array. I've tried multiple ways and end up with a path as a string being applied to the MyData array. At the end of the code listed below you have used a Row(), is this something i need? Thanks in advance for the help
For Each f In fldStart.Files
If f.Name Like "*.xl*" Then
Range("A1:A" & MaxRows).Formula = "=INDEX('" & MyPath & "\[" & f.Name & "]Sheet1'!AD:AD,ROW())"</pre> Range("A1:A" & MaxRows).Formula = "=INDEX('" & MyPath & "\[" & f.Name & "]Sheet1'!AD:AD,ROW())"

Upvote 0
What is the address of the range you want to get from the closed workbook?

Upvote 0
Hi Eric, the range i was going to use is MyData = Range("A3", Range("A2").End(xlDown).End(xlToRight))
that command gets data from the Active worksheet i'm writing the visual basic in, i need to try and use the MyPath, f.Name and SheetName variables in the loop to iterate through the different workbooks but not sure how??

Upvote 0
I don't know of a way to use xlDown or xlToRight on a closed workbook. The best I can suggest (without actually opening the workbooks) is to select a range that's larger than you think it will ever get.

Rich (BB code):
Sub GetData()
    Dim fso As Object, fldStart As Object
    Dim MyPath As String, MyData(10) As Variant, MDCtr As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False

MyPath = "C:\Users\yourname\Desktop\Excel"

Set fso = CreateObject("scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set fldStart = fso.GetFolder(MyPath)

With Worksheets.Add
        For Each f In fldStart.Files
                .Range("A1:Z100").Formula = "='" & MyPath & "\[" & f.Name & "]Sheet1'!A1&"""""
                MDCtr = MDCtr + 1
                MyData(MDCtr) = .Range("A1:Z100").Value
            End If
        Next f
        .Delete
    End With

Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

This creates a temporary worksheet, loops through all the matching files in the folder, creates a 1-1 formula that pulls the data from the other workbooks, and saves that into MyData. You'll now have to read through the arrays to find the actual start and stop locations.

You can try to use the xlDown and xlToRight functions by changing the If structure to:

Rich (BB code):
                .Range("A1:Z100").Formula = "='" & MyPath & "\[" & f.Name & "]Sheet1'!A1&"""""
                .Range("A1:Z100").Value = Range("A1:Z100").Value
                MDCtr = MDCtr + 1
                MyData(MDCtr) = Range("A3", Range("A2").End(xlDown).End(xlToRight))
            End If
but the original range (A1:Z100) must still already encompass the maximum size you think you'll reach. And there's a possibility of a memory error if there isn't a value to find.

Also note that in this example, MyData is an array of ranges. To reference a particular value, do this:

x = MyData(1) (2, 3)

where 1 is the number of the workbook, 2 is the row, and 3 is the column. You can of course get even more complicated if you want to save multiple sheets per workbook.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
if the data is structured like a database, the workbooks (or text files, csv, mdb (MS Access), etc, etc. MANY file types) don't need to be opened.

one way is using ADO. Google will find lots of information. an excellent resource from years ago is http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/tutors-corner/217783-using-ado-excel-files.html

above is via VBA

without VBA, you can just query from a worksheet. just set it up & refresh like a pivot table. implementation will be version specific, suggest refer Excel help or google. in old versions, ALT-D-D-N gets you started

HTH

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikijon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back