Can't save due to "Sharing violation"

Pianoman23

Hi all

I'm using Office 365 / Excel 2013 and have recently upgraded to Windows 10.

I keep getting "Can't save due to sharing violation". Does anyone know what this is, or have any solutions to offer?

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I am also using Office 365/Excel 2013 but with Windows 8.1. Just within the last couple of days I have started getting this problem, but just with one particular file. Re-saving it under a different name makes no difference, but in all other respects the file works perfectly. It seems rather a coincidence if a number of people have just started getting the problem all at about the same time.

Upvote 0
I thought it was a Windows 10 problem so, having had other problems with Windows 10, I rolled back to 8.1.

The problem still exists. I've been using Office 365 for over a year and have never had this problem before. Searching the web it appears that a lot of people are experiencing this problem.

The only way I can get round it is to use "save as" and save under a different name. This only works if you haven't tried to save the file and received the sharing violation message. Once you've received this message the file wont save under any circumstances. To maintain continuity I save as to a different filename, then delete the original file and use save as again to save back to the original name - IT'S A TOTAL PAIN !!!!

Upvote 0
Having kept trying to sort this out I wondered whether it was a problem with the two very simple macros in my workbook. When I went to "View Code" on the relevant sheet, I found that all the code had disappeared. I re-entered the code and now the workbook is saving normally again. This will not necessarily work for everyone - or, maybe, anyone - but I offer the experience for what it is worth.

Upvote 0
Pianoman23,

you are not alone.

If this was the first test of this software no-one would use it because it does not work.

MS can get away with never fixing this problem solely because there is no way to contact their developers to point out that this software is now completely unusable.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back