Cell search

AndrewD04

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi,

I am struggleing with an excel query and would love some help.

I have a number say 2578654A in Cell A1 and a list of numbers on Sheet 2 which correlate to the numbers in Cell A1 above.

I want a formula to search the Numbers in A1 for matching numbers from the list and enter that number in B2 and so on.

For example it searches and finds 25 so it puts that in Cell B2 and then carries on and finds 86 so puts that is cell C2.

Hope thus is clear.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
See if these 2 formula will help.

In cell B2 = =IF(A1=VLOOKUP(Sheet2!$A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$14,1,0),LEFT(Sheet1!A1,2),"")
In cell C2 = =IF(A1=VLOOKUP(Sheet2!$A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$14,1,0),MID(Sheet1!A1,2,2),"")

Upvote 0
See if these 2 formula will help.

In cell B2 = =IF(A1=VLOOKUP(Sheet2!$A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$14,1,0),LEFT(Sheet1!A1,2),"")
In cell C2 = =IF(A1=VLOOKUP(Sheet2!$A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$14,1,0),MID(Sheet1!A1,2,2),"")

Hi,

Thank you this does not seem to work.

It just shows blank

Upvote 0
Can you show some example data this will help find a solution.

Upvote 0
Sorry wont allow em to add the document - the To Search is the Raw data and will be a cell with multiple numbers and letters which all match against the number list.

To Search Result 1 Result 2 Result 3 Result 4
1928264B 19 28 26 4B

Number Match

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I am not getting this. Do all the numbers in the cell appear in the number list sheet? if so all you need is to split the numbers into seperate cells. The last part of the search is a letter, that wouldn't appear in a number list so it shouldn't appear in result 4 anyway from your example.

Upvote 0
I am not getting this. Do all the numbers in the cell appear in the number list sheet? if so all you need is to split the numbers into seperate cells. The last part of the search is a letter, that wouldn't appear in a number list so it shouldn't appear in result 4 anyway from your example.

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for trying to help me.

Basically I have a string of numbers and may have letters in it for example 25284B06 each number and number with letter so 25-28-4B-06 are in a list I have. I want excel to search the 25284B06 and when it finds a matching number such as 25 it puts that in a cell ad then carries on to find the next matching number which would be 28 and pit that in the next cell and so on

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janspook03

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back