Change pivot cache data source

Jon von der Heyden

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

I have a workbook that contains several macros. One slices and dices data from another workbook. The next one will upload that table to an access database. Then another macro to pass parameters to a query in that access database.

The workbook then contains several pivot tables from that very same query table. Works a treat!

I would like to make it a little more bullet proof by adding in functionaility to change where the pivot cache collects its' data from. I still want it to read that database and that very same query, but I would like to be able to change the location of the access database just in case someone moves it to a different directory. So now the directory is C:\Workflow.mdb, but what happends if it moves to H:\Workflow.mdb.

The workbook only has the one pivot cache so I am wondering if I can change its source location in one hit without having to pass the entire SQL string through again.

Can anyone give me some suggestions please?

Mmm if you say so. But this whole project is born out of the fact that 2003 cannot hold more than 65536 records and I am dealing with circa 300K. And at first I was writing it directly to the pivot cache but the cache alone was exceeding 200MB. When I tested the same on 2007 and placed the records in a sheet the size was considerably less. So now I am storing all records in an Access table and loading 'filtered' record sets to a pivot cache simply to manage the capacity. Whilst in Excel 2003 the model was manageable at 200MB, the reports couldn't be distributed on email.

I've put alot of effort into making it bullet proof but I know that someone, somewhere is going to break it regardless! All this effort for a model that's sole pupose is to monitor outstanding workflows and drive billing documents for workflow management... Overkill!!!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Could you not do the pivoting in Access too?

Upvote 0
I'm pivoting in Excel because they make up the reporting pack that gets distributed (emailed). The reviewers need that drill in facility; i.e. double click and it produces a list of records. I also have a bunch of fluffy charts that they like to see. And strictly speaking I'm not allowed to use access, but then why do they include it as part of standard laptop build?!

It's working nicely, and I've littered it with error trapping and a log output file. So at least if (when) it goes wrong I will have the full audit trail and should be able to work out a fix. Like I said..."Over kill!!!" :devilish:

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,

I am having issues with some pivot tables created from the same cache. When I create calculated items in one, it is shared with the rest of the pivot tables. I have tried to implement the code change suggested by RoryUK and implemented by Jon von der Heyden but the pivot tables still show the same cache. I will be grateful if any help is offered.

Thanks.

Gilbert

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrSabo83

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back