Changing charts based on cells

ShoYnn

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
This probably sounds familiar, but I have been rifling through google and herd all day to find a solution. Here is some background information:

The spreadsheet is for trend analysis on tests. You put in the class number, number of students, and what version of the test they are on(there are 3 versions, A is what they all take, B is what they take if they fail A, etc...). Next you put in what the students put as answers(multiple choice A-D) for each question for each student. When finished you click a submit button that flushes the information to start filling in a data array. The sheet calculates avg class score and what percent of the class got the wrong answer for each question.

Now onto the fun stuff. I am eventually going to have 2 separate charts, one to trend class average, and one to trend the wrong answers. For now let's focus on the class avg as this will be simple.

What I want to do is have the graph be able to show me data for individual classes or every class that has been entered based on two drop down boxes, one selecting the version of the test and one selecting either a specific class or all classes. I already have named dynamic ranges for those scenarios, I just need a way to make the spreadsheet change what named ranges the chart is using based on those drop boxes. Formulas or VBA are fair game. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hi, you can create a drop-down list that has for example the class name/individual name, then you can create table that has the data of the classes and simply use formula SUMIFS to bring all the data of each column/ row you have.
If you could share a sample table with names of the columns I can share the formula with you.

Upvote 0
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I figured out a few things I was doing wrong, realized that one of my graphs actually needed to be split into 10, and by time I did all of that I was totally in the zone. I eventually just moved the graphs to the sheet that I waz flushing the data to and that solved most of the issues (no neex to try and call the data back to the main sheet...), and I even figured out a way to automatically adjust the wixth of the graph so that when there is a crazy amount of data on it it is not all squished together. This is what I used to accomplish the changing ranges of data on the graph, and it worked really great!

https://youtu.be/sHfWRb2yUrM

Thanks for the initial response though!

Upvote 0
Happy you figured this out, and thank you for sharing this great video.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back