Check whether a specific transaction took place within a time period

TamirBasin

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

How can I calculate whether a specific transaction took place within a time period of one of the Sales (Discounts and allowances table)?

Thanks,
Tamir

Screenshot
guestaccess.aspx

My File
https://basintamir-my.sharepoint.com/personal/tamir_tamirbasin_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=1976097f9d69a41769e47a1a9afb422de&authkey=AY61E3tYtZC1R4f_tTpVEnE

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Assuming the bottom right table is called "Table3", then try this in the top row of your blue table.

=IF(COUNTIFS(Table3[StartDate],"<="&[@Date],Table3[EndDate],">="&[@Date],Table3[Products],[@Product]),"Yes","No")

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

I hope it is ok to continue this thread as it is related...
(question is referring to the above screenshot)

After getting the result whether a transaction/date is included within the time period of a Promotion period, I need to retrieve the name of the aproprate Promotion name.
I cannot figure a way to do it and would appreciate some help.

Thank you,
Tamir

Upvote 0
I hope it is ok to continue this thread as it is related...
Yes, it is closely related so fine to continue in this thread.

Try this.

Book1
BCDEFGHIJK
3DateProductPriceInDiscPromotion
45/10/2017Prod1YesHappyHolidays
55/10/2017appleNoN/A
66/10/2017Prod2YesHappyHolidays
715/10/2017Prod2NoN/A
815/10/2017Prod3NoN/A
915/10/2017Prod4YesOctoberSalePromotionStartDateEndDateProducts
10HappyHolidays1/10/201710/10/2017Prod1
11HappyHolidays1/10/201710/10/2017Prod2
12HappyHolidays1/10/201710/10/2017Prod3
13OctoberSale15/10/201729/10/2017Prod1
14OctoberSale15/10/201729/10/2017Prod4
Sale Periods
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E4=IF(COUNTIFS(Table3[StartDate],"<="&[@Date],Table3[EndDate],">="&[@Date],Table3[Products],[@Product]),"Yes","No")
F4=IF([@InDisc]="Yes",INDEX(Table3[Promotion],AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Table3[Promotion])-ROW(Table3[[#Headers],[Promotion]]))/((Table3[StartDate]<=[@Date])*(Table3[EndDate]>=[@Date])*(Table3[Products]=[@Product])),1)),"N/A")

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

Thank you for the great formula. It works great!

Could you please explain a little regarding the expression:
AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Table3[Promotion])-ROW(Table3[[#Headers],[Promotion]]))
I understand that the ROW returns an array of the rows numbers and that SMALL returns the smallest item. But....I lose the plot here...

and why would you divide it by the product of:
((Table3[StartDate]<=[@Date])*(Table3[EndDate]>=[@Date])*(Table3[Products]=[@Product]))
I understand that I get 0 for no match and 1 for a match.

Thank you,
Tamir

Upvote 0
You are almost there with your understanding.:)
You are correct the the (ROW(Table3[Promotion])-ROW(Table3[[#Headers],[Promotion]]) returns an array of numbers: 1,2,3,.. up to however many rows in the table.
You are also correct that the divisors are either 0 or 1. The divisor is 1 when all our required conditions are met (ie correct product, correct date range) otherwise 0.
When the divisions are done all the zeros (rows we are not interested in) produce errors.
The second argument of the AGGREGATE function (6) says to ignore those errors. Hence the AGGREGATE returns the smallest row where all our conditions are met. I would expect that there would only ever be one row that meets all the conditions but if a product/date fitted more than one promotion, the current formula would return the first matching one found in the other table.

Upvote 0
Thank you Peter,

I understand now the reasoning for the division.

The expression ROW(Table3[[#Headers],[Promotion]] always returns {1} as it is the location of the header row, so it is always the same e.g. {1}

The expression
ROW(Table3[Promotion]) will also (to my understanding) returns always the number of rows in the table....so why would it give me the right line number as my first item in the array of row numbers? How does it filter?

Thank you,
Tamir

Upvote 0
The expression ROW(Table3[[#Headers],[Promotion]] always returns {1} as it is the location of the header row, so it is always the same e.g. {1}
Not so. For the layout in my screen shot ROW(Table3[[#Headers],[Promotion]] ) returns 9 (the worksheet row of the table headrer), not 1.
Check by putting the formula in a worksheet cell =ROW(Table3[[#Headers],[Promotion]])

The expression ROW(Table3[Promotion]) will also (to my understanding) returns always the number of rows in the table....
Not so. It returns array of the worksheet row numbers of the table. Again for Table3 of mine that would be {10,11,12,13,14}

So when we do the subtraction of 9 we gete {1,2,3,4,5} which are the rows of the table, relative to the table.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mystic19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back