Clean and Trim Data from a column without removing alt-enter.

Deepk

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey,

As my last post regarding is not addressed I am posting this again.

I want to clean (removing non-printable character) and trim (removing extra spaces at the beginning and end) my data in selection within a column. As the clean function also remove alt-enter, I want alt-enter to be removed from the start and end of the data but not from the middle of the data (string).

Please help me with this. Thank you in advance.

I realized that this code is leaving an extra space at the end of cleaned/trimmed value. Also, if the alt-enter is three or more at the beginning of the data, it is leaving one alt-enter at the beginning.
I cannot seem to duplicate what you have written above. Can you post a copy of a workbook that contains text which you don't think my code handles correctly to DropBox so that I can test my code directly on it?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
I cannot seem to duplicate what you have written above. Can you post a copy of a workbook that contains text which you don't think my code handles correctly to DropBox so that I can test my code directly on it?

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your swift response.

I can not share or upload anything from my workplace (policy under force). I am trying to simplify my data here.

Please enter the following data in a Cell:

Three alt-enters > "January" > four spaces > four alt-enters.

copy this Cell and paste in a range having more than one column and more than one row (4X4 matrix). Run the code. you will find one alt-enter at the beginning of each Cell and one space at the end.

I hope this is clear.

Upvote 0
Please enter the following data in a Cell:

Three alt-enters > "January" > four spaces > four alt-enters.

copy this Cell and paste in a range having more than one column and more than one row (4X4 matrix). Run the code. you will find one alt-enter at the beginning of each Cell and one space at the end.
I do not see the leading Alt+Enter (so until you can post a copy of a workbook where the text leaves the leading Alt+Enter, I cannot help you with that part of your problem) but I do see the trailing space. This fixes the trailing space issue...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub CleanTrimKeepLineFeeds()
  Dim X As Long, S As String, CodesToClean As Variant, Cell As Range
  CodesToClean = Array(0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 127, 129, 141, 143, 144, 157)
  For Each Cell In Selection
    S = Replace(Cell.Value, Chr(160), " ")
    For X = LBound(CodesToClean) To UBound(CodesToClean)
      If InStr(S, Chr(CodesToClean(X))) Then S = Replace(S, Chr(CodesToClean(X)), "")
    Next
    Cell.Value = Application.Trim(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Application.Trim(Replace(Replace(WorksheetFunction.Trim(S), " ", Chr(175)), vbLf, " ")), " ", vbLf), Chr(175), " "), " " & vbLf, vbLf), vbLf & " ", vbLf))
  Next
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
I do not see the leading Alt+Enter (so until you can post a copy of a workbook where the text leaves the leading Alt+Enter, I cannot help you with that part of your problem) but I do see the trailing space. This fixes the trailing space issue...

Rick,

yes, the trailing space gone.

I would like you to try once again. please run the codes with cells having following data

Two alt-enters > three spaces > one alt-enter > "January" > four spaces > four alt-enters

I am sure you will identify the issue I am facing. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Upvote 0
Rick,

yes, the trailing space gone.

I would like you to try once again. please run the codes with cells having following data

Two alt-enters > three spaces > one alt-enter > "January" > four spaces > four alt-enters

I am sure you will identify the issue I am facing. Sorry for the inconvenience.
I think this revision to my macro will now work correctly...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub CleanTrimKeepLineFeeds()
  CodesToClean = Array(0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 127, 129, 141, 143, 144, 157)
    Next
    Cell.Value = Replace(Replace(Application.Trim(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Application.Trim(S), vbLf & " ", vbLf), " " & vbLf, vbLf), " ", Chr$(175)), vbLf, " ")), " ", vbLf), Chr$(175), " ")
  Next
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
I think this revision to my macro will now work correctly...
Code:
[TABLE="width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Sub CleanTrimKeepLineFeeds()
    Next
    Cell.Value = Replace(Replace(Application.Trim(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Application.Trim(S), vbLf & " ", vbLf), " " & vbLf, vbLf), " ", Chr$(175)), vbLf, " ")), " ", vbLf), Chr$(175), " ")
  Next
End Sub[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Excellent! Thank you, and have a good day ahead.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hideto94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back