Color partial text in cell - VBA

khen1013

I am brand new to this forum and relatively new to VBA so I apologize if this is not the correct way to go about this. I’ve searched all over and couldn’t find clear cut answers (or at least answers that I understood) so I’m hoping this will help.

I’m trying to color part of the text in a cell. If a cell has ML or OZ or MCG in any part of the worksheet, I want it to be changed to red (or any color really). I’ve seen a lot of answers that use LEN and substrings and etc. but I’m confused about the characters(start,length) property. I don’t know in what part of the cell those letters will be or how many letters even. Can someone explain this or direct me to somewhere that can?
Thank you!

Thanks for the code.

You said earlier "first time I run this". Given that the code is called automatically when the worksheet is activated, I am not sure what is meant by that phrase.

I am also not sure why this would be in a Worksheet_Activate code but then I am not familiar with what is going on in your workbook or how the workbook is being used.

In any case, I have not been able to produce any unusual behaviour from the code.
Thanks again for your response.

I'm not sure how else I could run this function HighlightWordOrPhrase beside placing it inside the Worksheet_Activate. Ideally, I want this to trigger by itself and not need a button to activate HighlightWordOrPhrase.

Right now, even after I disabled the function altogether, the coloring is still remained. Is this normal?

All I want is to color red those keywords in column K automatically (I put a range on that so it doesn't have to run the loop more than needed). I can add a button to trigger this if that is the best option.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Right now, even after I disabled the function altogether, the coloring is still remained. Is this normal?
Yes, just like any formatting that you apply to a worksheet (excluding conditional formatting), it stays the same unless you actually change it.

I can't tell what is the best option for you because I can't replicate the problem that you seem to be having.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgro123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back