Column to a row and repeat!

redtiger

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this annoying problem. I have some information in a column like this:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 63pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=84><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 63pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3072" width=84><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 63pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63 height=20 width=84>Name</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>Name 1</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>Address 1</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>Telephone 1</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>Name 2</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>Address 2</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>Telephone 2</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>Name 3</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>Address 3</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>Telephone 3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
etc, etc

I would like to seperate the information out into various columns: Name, Company (I will have to add this info seperately), Address, and Telephone. Has anyone got any tips and tricks that might help me to do this without having to cut and paste everything across. I tried to record a macro but the Address 2 and Telephone 2 moved in to the Address 1 and Telephone 1 column.

Many thanks!

:)

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Have you tried the PasteSpecial Transpose option. I think this is what you are trying to do. If it is not let me know.

Upvote 0
redtiger,

Welcome to the MrExcel forum.

What version of Excel are you using?

You will generally get much more help (and faster) in this forum if you can post your small samples (what you have and what you expect to achieve) directly in the forum.

To attach screenshots, see below in my Signature block: Post a screen shot with one of these:

If you are not able to give us screenshots, see below in my Signature block: You can upload your workbook to Box Net

Upvote 0
redtiger,

Assuming your information is in A1:A300, type the following formula in Cell B1, then copy it across to C1 and D1. Copy the three cells down 99 more rows to reformat all the information in A1:A300. Afterwards, insert a row between columns B and C to add your Company information.

=INDEX($A$1:$A$300,COLUMN(A1)+(3*ROW(A1)-3),1)

Upvote 0
Have you tried the PasteSpecial Transpose option. I think this is what you are trying to do. If it is not let me know.

Im with you on this one... sounds like transpose and then just insert a column for Company.

Copy the data
Copy your data range. The quickest way to do this is to use the keyboard shortcut, Control + C.

Open the Paste Special menu
Go to the cell in the top left corner where you would like your new transposed data to be placed. Open the Edit menu on the main toolbar in Microsoft Excel, then select Paste Special and transpose

Upvote 0
Hi,

Try
Code:
Sub test()
Dim lr As Long, e As Range, a, k As Long
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(3).Row
a = Cells(2, 1).Resize(lr - 1)
For Each e In [c2].Resize(Int(lr / 4) + 1, 3)
    k = k + 1
    If k Mod 4 <> 4 Then e.Value = a(k, 1)
Next e
[d1].Resize(k).Insert xlToRight
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for all your responses!

In the end I tried MikeWX's suggestion and it worked a treat!

If I had manually cut and paste all the information it would have taken me days - with the help from you good people it took me less than 5 minutes!

Thanks again!

:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back