Combination Pivot Charts

Catenary

Using Excel 2007, I have created a pivot chart with two data sources shown in column form and one in line form (plotted on the right, secondary axis). When I change the source data for the line component, however the chart reverts to a simple column chart, losing the secondary axis in the process. Is there a way to keep the combination chart format without manually changing the third data set to line chart each time?

DETAILS

The columns represent volumes of water pumped from two extraction wells and have values in the 10^5 gallons per week range. The line represents the water elevation in a specific nearby monitoring well and has a magnitude in tens of feet. I have to assess the effect of the historical pumping on 35 individual wells. Ideally, I would click a button to select "WELL 26" and the line representing its fluctuating water level would be overlaid on the column chart showing weekly pumping volumes. As it works now, I have to manually reinstall the secondary axis and convert the column chart type to a line chart each time I select a new monitoring well.

With some (considerable) effort, I suppose I could create a macro to do this, but I'd prefer not to, if at all possible.

Thanks for any assistance this request might engender.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
I didn't think this was a problem with Excel 2007 (only prior versions)
Could you perhaps just select more blank cells in the column i.e. if your range of actual values is C4:C100, set the pivot table to read from C4:C20000. It shouldn't plot the blanks so you shouldn't need to reset the source data.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure a macro would be that difficult as it you could just record your actions since the chart and components don't actually change.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back