Command buttons not working on all machines

UntitledDocument

I've been making up a workbook for material summaries at work, and I'm finding a problem on 2 of 4 computers running it so far.
Here's what happens:
There's some command buttons shown in the picture. the mouse is hovered over the 'refresh summary' button (circled in black). (the cursor isn't shown in the screen shot)
The second picture shows what happens when the button is pressed on the two computers that don't work. A ghost image of the button shows up (circled in red) and the button does not perform its function.

-all the command buttons make this ghost image on the 2 computers
-the action can still be performed manually through the vba editor
-macros are enabled on all 4 computers
view

-all 4 computers are windows 10 and running the same version of excel
-no error message is shown
-the ghost image is a different size on the 2 computers
-the button does not look "pressed" or pushed inwards on the 2 computers
-the cursor becomes the regular hollow plus sign when the button is clicked instead of the pointer.

sorry, new problem. It's a pain is the *** to get a picture on here since there is no upload option. The only thing you have to imagine is that a replica image of the button pressed shows up a few centimeters up and to the left of the actual button. If anyone know a easy way to post a link to an image please let me know. I'm not really interested in setting up a photo sharing service just to post a link for this one problem.

view

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
The images you've posted are asking me to sign-in. You need to mark them as shared.

At a guess you buttons are activeX buttons, if so I'd recommend changing them to Form Controls instead.

Upvote 0
The images you've posted are asking me to sign-in. You need to mark them as shared.

At a guess you buttons are activeX buttons, if so I'd recommend changing them to Form Controls instead.

Sorry I wasn't aware that those links stayed. I can't see them anywhere myself. The only convenient way I know to share an image is through google drive. I'll try what you suggested

Upvote 0

I am using activeX buttons, and I had a look at converting them to form controls, but it doesn't seem as easy as copy and pasting VBA code.
The activeX buttons are what I've written the code for, and from what I've read, they are a more flexible option too.
If you can explain to me how that conversion would work, I would be happy to do it. but otherwise I don't really see the point in re-doing everything through form controls when I have something that should be working fine.
I was expecting an answer that was something like: "you forgot to turn the _____ setting on" or "the computer needs a ____ update"

Upvote 0
ActiveX controls are notoriously flaky, which is why I tend to use Forms Controls or shapes wherever possible.
Depending on what the code is doing, you should be able to remove the word Private from the start of the sub & then assigned that code to the Forms Control button

Upvote 0
Perfect. It's working on all machines now. Thank you so much.
I'm a little annoyed that a built-in feature only works half the time.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back