Compare numbers

mallee

Hi guys,

I found myself chasing my own tail at work, and could use some extra input. I'm basically just trying to compare to columns with a condition.

i-L8MQKdg-X2.jpg

There are two variables:
- Buildings - 3 to 5 alphanumeric code in a format of 3 or 4 digits, or 3 digits followed by a single letter, or 4 digits by a single letter. These codes are unique.
- Business - 4 digit code only. These codes are NOT unique, and same code can be attached to all the Buildings.

J2 - that's my drop down menu option for Buildings (table links back to another sheet)
J4:J24 - Business codes pulled from another sheet based on J2 selection (max of 20 businesses)

L4:K24 - sumifs pulling from the report in R4:Z1000

Goal: Upon selecting a Building from J2 drop down, I want a cell to show me a missing Business (if any) is listed in the report R4:Z1000 that's not in J4:J24.

What I've done so far, before finally throwing a towel, I combined the Building and Business numbers together in Col-N

=IF(OR(R18="",S18=""),"",<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">CONCATENATE(R18,".",S18))

In Col-M I'm just pointing back to the list of business with an IF statement.

Col-L, I'm comparing codes between the two with:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(N27,$M$27:<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">$M$43,1,FALSE)),N27,"")

And then in Col-J, I wanted to list the first non-zero entry

=INDEX(L27:L500,MATCH(TRUE,<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">INDEX(L27:L500<>"",),0))

But that only works if my report is for a single building only, which doesn't help me at all.

I then added extracted the Building code from Col-J with

=IF(L27<>"",LEFT(L27,(FIND("."<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">,L27,1)-1)),"")

And tried to compare that to J2, and link back to Col-N to find the missing Business, but I found myself in way over my head with this.

There's got to be an easier way to get it done. I hope
:confused:

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
OK, so in the cell J26 I replaced the current formula with:

=LOOKUP(1E+100,SEARCH(J2,L26:L500),L27:L500)

And that almost works. It works if my building selection in J2 is completely unique, but when I'm faced with building coeds such as '100' and '100A' in the report, the value in J26 will return an entry that matches '100A' despite having selected '100' in J2.

Is there a way to format the above formula, so that it only looks up the partial string value before the period?

Upvote 0
Figured it out.

Added =CONCATENATE(J2,".") in I2, and referenced that instead of J2 in the above =LOOKUP formula.

Next, I reference J26 with =IFNA() and seems to work now as intended.

:cool:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdahsankhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back