Comparing Alphanumeric Strings

Meesam

Board Regular
Hello Everybody,

I got a simple sheet in which I got some columns of data representing certain grid-line i.e. A-25, B-35, C-41 etc and I got another column in which the data is like B-25.5, C-26.5 etc. I want to compare the both columns and know for each item that which item is bigger or smaller (grid-line sense) than the other. e.g. C-26.5 will surely be lesser than C-41. I need a simple algorithm or code to achieve the same. Would really appreciate quick response.

Regards.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Hi,

Could you post some example data as well as the expected result?

Matty

Upvote 0
Hi Matty,
Data can be in the format as below

Column - A Column - B RESULT (to be achieved)
------------- ---------- -----------------------
C-25 B-35 Smaller (i.e. Column B is SMALLER than A)
A-35 H-28.5 Larger
S-11.5 R-26 Smaller

So on and so forth. Remember I got 6,800 ROWS !

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I follow the logic here.

Could you explain why you get the results you do?

Matty

Upvote 0
Logic is quite simple. If you know bit about graphs then you have on x-axis A,B,C,D...........so on.
On y-axis you got 1,2,3,4,5,6..............so on.
If i pick-up a point anywhere in graph, say C-25 (which clearly means C along x-axis and 25 along y-axis) then I can put that in one single column. In the same way I can put another point say D-30 in another column. Now if i want to compare that which one is ahead or higher (in whatever way you take it) then clearly D is farther right of C and so is 30 lower or higher than 25. I hope I could clarify.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I got my alphabet order messed up earlier.

I take it that if both share the same alpha value, e.g. C, then C-1 is smaller than C-2?

Matty

Upvote 0
Exactly you got my right now. Now kindly help me prepare a nice algorithm or basic code so that I can process all those 6,800 lines. Actually my overall problem is lot more complicated and this part is just the start. Many a times I got items such as C-35.5 / B-23 getting compared to C / A-35 which essentially is comparison of two lines items. But anyways even if I accomplish this simple comparison then the other ones can be worked out.

Upvote 0
But which criterion takes precedence: the x-axis or y-axis value? For example, what is your result for which of D4 and E3 is the 'larger'? 'E' is further along than 'D' (in the sense of +ve x-direction), though 4 is less than 3 (in the sense of +ve y-direction).

Regards

Upvote 0
Try:

Code:
=IF(A2=B2,"Same",IF(LEFT(A2,FIND("-",A2)-1)>LEFT(B2,FIND("-",B2)-1),"Smaller",IF(AND(LEFT(A2,FIND("-",A2)-1)=LEFT(B2,FIND("-",B2)-1),--RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND("-",A2))>--RIGHT(B2,LEN(B2)-FIND("-",B2))),"Smaller","Larger")))

Matty

Upvote 0
Excellent code matty. Actually in my real problem there is no concept of smaller or larger rather the issue is whether or not a certain range (in Column-A) falls under second range (Column-B) e.g. I got A - 35 in Column and I'm comparing to a value A-10 / B-31 then clearly A - 35 is "covered" (or you can say sort of in between or inside) of range A-10 / B-31. So now I've to extend you algorithm for the same. Another thing is that can you please guide me of how the put all this in VBA as I will be doing most other comparison and data pulling using VBA.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smiqer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back