Comparing Alphanumeric Strings

Meesam

Board Regular
Hello Everybody,

I got a simple sheet in which I got some columns of data representing certain grid-line i.e. A-25, B-35, C-41 etc and I got another column in which the data is like B-25.5, C-26.5 etc. I want to compare the both columns and know for each item that which item is bigger or smaller (grid-line sense) than the other. e.g. C-26.5 will surely be lesser than C-41. I need a simple algorithm or code to achieve the same. Would really appreciate quick response.

Regards.

I'm not sure I understand this. Taking your last example, if I was to complete a rectangle using A10 and B31 as two of my corners, then A35 would not lie within the boundaries of this rectangle. Still, looks like your happy!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Thinking about it, we don't need to split the string the do this comparison. The following should also work:

Code:
=IF(A2=B2,"Same",IF(A2>B2,"Smaller","Larger"))

I have to go out now. Hopefully someone else can help with your follow up question.

Matty

Upvote 0
Hey d4d6, Yeah sorry i was bit incorrect on that. Yeah if the point is A-30 or something then surely it will fall within rectangle. That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve using VBA. Thanks for correction.

Upvote 0
So now I'm even more confused! You say: "I got A - 35 in Column and I'm comparing to a value A-10 / B-31". Does this mean that actually your entries in column B consist of a pair of co-ordinates? And that, as I stated, you are effectively looking to see whether the co-ordinate in column A falls within the rectangle having the co-ordinates in column B as two of its corners?

Upvote 0
Yes 100% my friend. In column-A, I may have a value C - 20 / D - 20 which represents a LINE. Now in column-B, I may have B - 10 / E - 30 which represents a rectangle. I have to check whether or not first value of C - 20 / D - 20 falls within rectangle B - 10 / E - 30 !!

Upvote 0
Hi,

Try:

=IF(AND(COLUMN(INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A2,FIND("/",A2)-1),"-","")," ","")))>=COLUMN(INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(B2,FIND("/",B2)-1),"-","")," ",""))),COLUMN(INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A2,FIND("/",A2)-1),"-","")," ","")))<=COLUMN(INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(MID(B2,FIND("/",B2)+1,LEN(B2)-FIND("/",B2)+1),"-","")," ",""))),ROW(INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A2,FIND("/",A2)-1),"-","")," ","")))>=ROW(INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(B2,FIND("/",B2)-1),"-","")," ",""))),ROW(INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A2,FIND("/",A2)-1),"-","")," ","")))<=ROW(INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(MID(B2,FIND("/",B2)+1,LEN(B2)-FIND("/",B2)+1),"-","")," ","")))),"WITHIN","OUTSIDE")

Regards

Upvote 0
My friend......:confused:
This formula seems to be far more weird than I expected it to be :eek:
Anyways I worked out lot more comprehensible and reasonable formula which is
=IF(LEFT(H2,FIND("/",H2,1)-1)>LEFT(J2,FIND("/",J2,1)-1),"h is larger","J is larger")
But I still got lot more to do. I have datasets in which data is like 25 / G - 13.5 so here this one won't give correct results all the time. And most importantly your formula just didn't work and gave ERROR ! Have you tried it before copying here?
Even after all the solutions I will have to convert all logics to VBA. So still on initial steps towards final solution.
Thanks for your time and help.

Upvote 0
Of course I tried it. I used it on C - 20 / D - 20 in cell A2 and B - 10 / E - 30 in cell B2 and it worked just fine.

Don't tell me you tried it on cells H2 and I2 without changing the references accordingly?!

And the formula you are currently using will not do as you stated was required since it is only checking the x-values, not the y-values.

Regards

Upvote 0
My very dear friend If i'm in such an advanced forum I can't imagine making obvious mistake of not changing cell references. Anyways for some odd reason it's giving some error. Yeah the one is posted is for left side and you can see immediately that with little bit of fine tuning it can be directly extended to both sides of "/". Fine let me check yours with some modifications. But keep trying for better options and If you can really push then please help me figure out VBA version. I'm good at VBA but for these formulas either i need equivalent algorithm or a way to easily transfer these to VBA without hassle.

Upvote 0
What type of error are you getting? What are the exact text strings in A2 and B2 on which you are currently testing the formula?

Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyouryo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back