Comparing data from two sheets, find the matches

carrieohara

Hi, let me start by saying I don't know much about excel. I don't work with it regularly but I was asked to try and figure something out for my boss.

I have exported data from two separate sources, there is very little in common between the two except for the customer names and the amounts that they have paid. I have placed the data from the exports onto separate sheets, named eBay and Solid within one workbook.

What I have been asked to do is to locate all the customers who appear on the eBay sheet within the Solid sheet, and merge all of the data pertaining to each one onto one sheet. I tried setting up relationships between the two sheets based on the field "name" but I keep getting an error stating that both columns contain duplicate data. I have gone through every entry on the ebay sheet and renamed any entry that matches another on the same sheet, but I continue to get the error.

At this point I could have gone through the entire list manually, twice probably, but that's not what I was asked to figure out. I know there is a way to do this, it seems simple enough, but I can't figure it out. I know next to nothing about formulas or the finer points of excel, so please take mercy and explain thoroughly if you think you have a solution.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asp123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back