Concatenate an array

Raan Ruuster

This is my very first post on this forum, and I've exhausted my search to hopefully ensure that my exact question hasn't been answered before (though if I'm wrong, a link to the correct post would be greatly appreciated!). I consider myself much more advanced than an "average" user, but much much less advanced than probably anyone on this forum. I know I will probably have to get a UDF for this, but I'm incapable of coding in VBA. I'm having trouble with a scheduling form that I'm creating and would love a little input from someone who has more knowledge than me.

Disclaimer: My system is a 64 bit running excel 2010, so MCONCAT will not work for me, though I would think it would be close to solving my problem if it did.

What I have so far:
Through use of an IF array function, I now have an array that looks like this {"8:00breakfasttext1";FALSE;FALSE;"8:45swimtext4"}. This is simply a test, so I don't have the exact formatting of the text string perfect yet, but I don't suppose that matters at all (I know how to format it the way I want)​

What I need:
I need to concatenate this array in a given cell, skipping FALSE, and delimitted by a "NEW LINE" character [Char(10)]​

What it should look like in the given cell:
8:00breakfasttext1
8:45swimtext4​

I think that I've answered most questions concerning my situation, but if I've left anything out, let me know. Thanks so much for taking the time to look into this issue for me.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi and welcome,

Perhaps try this UDF:

Code:
Function concat(vArr As Variant) As String

concat = Replace(Join(Application.Transpose(vArr), Chr(10)), "False" & Chr(10), "")

End Function
Below is a sample of the function being used in a worksheet, where you would replace the sample IF condition in brackets with your actual IF condition (and will likely need to use CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER rather than just ENTER):

Sheet1
AB
118:00breakfasttext1
8:45swimtext4

<tbody>
</tbody>
Excel 2010

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B1=concat(IF(A1=1,{"8:00breakfasttext1";FALSE;FALSE;"8:45swimtext4"},0))

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Code:
Function concat(vArr As Variant) As String

concat = Replace(Join(Application.Transpose(vArr), Chr(10)), "False" & Chr(10), "")

End Function
I think your code would need to look more like this in order to handle the last cell being False...
Code:
Function Concat(vArr As Variant) As String
  Concat = Replace(vbLf & Join(Application.Transpose(vArr), vbLf), vbLf & "False", "")
  Do While Left(Concat, 1) = vbLf
    Concat = Mid(Concat, 2)
  Loop
End Function
Note that I use the built-in constant for Line Feeds (vbLf) rather than using Chr(10).

Upvote 0
I think your code would need to look more like this in order to handle the last cell being False...
Code:
Function Concat(vArr As Variant) As String
  Concat = Replace(vbLf & Join(Application.Transpose(vArr), vbLf), vbLf & "False", "")
  Do While Left(Concat, 1) = vbLf
    Concat = Mid(Concat, 2)
  Loop
End Function
Note that I use the built-in constant for Line Feeds (vbLf) rather than using Chr(10).
Oops - thanks for correcting me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kon123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back