Conditional formatting inserts a dashed line

sandz

Hello! This is my first post, after I've been lurking here for a year or two and finally have a problem I haven't been able to find.

Sheet has values that I've conditionally formatted. Nothing special...just quick formatted and provides a visual to what I'm doing. For some reason the first section is formatting with no issues, but the second and third sections are inserting dotted horizontal lines in about the first third of the cell. I need to remove the dotted/dashed line but have been unable to. The original sheet arrives from someone else so I'm not sure what they may have done in the way of formatting. I've removed the formatting, but to no avail. Also reformatted the cells, but nothign seems to work. The dotted lines appear to be where the conditional formatting data bar would begin. The other sections are fine.

So to sum up...conditional formatting inserts a dashed line into some cells, but not all. I need to remove this line. Pic located at the link below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/scLSSnuAUcn7QpSbUKK_zNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Any ideas? I'm thinking I may just have to hand hack the entire sheet to get the formatting correct.

Upvote 0
As the thread is quite old, this reply is for others such as myself who have just encountered the error. The difficulty in finding the answers is because a search for "dotted line" brings up lots of advice about page breaks, when the issue is a vertical dotted line in the middle of a conditionally formatted cell, not on its side.

In my case, the column with conditional formatting (data bar, gradient fill) gets populated only when another column has been populated. In other words, a templated worksheet with formulas but incomplete data will present this problem. Once I populated the column, the other column with conditional formatting was fixed.

Upvote 0
Try this:
1) Click cell that contain Data Bars with Dotted Line
2) Go to ribbon menu, tab = Home => Conditional Formatting
3) Select menu at the bottom "Manage Rules..."
4) Select Data Bars you want to edit, "Edit Rule..."
5) Click left-bottom button "Negative Value and Axis..."
6) At "Axis settings" submenu, select "None ..."

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back