LeanneBG

Board Regular
Hi Experts! I am trying to formulate the best way to create conditional formatting rules to be able to highlight the whole row based on the words found in column G.

Basically, column G contains all the status of the processing of the macro. It is consist of a sentence or two. I want the rule to highlight the whole row when it detects either one of the words/phrases within the sentence like "with warnings" or "With warning" or "with errors" or "with error" or "was terminated". I was able to formulate using format only cells that contains the following words, however, it is not working whenever i am putting the whole sentence. It only works whenever i only put "with warnings" in the cell. Hope you can help. Thanks!

Sample status below:

JOB_ AVCDDE_123456 Script completed with warnings or remainders. There was 1 warning message. There were no remainder messages. Script ran for 52 minutes and 31 seconds. (Elapsed: 3151 Interactive: 0 Processing: 3151)

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Also, sometimes it is saying like below, "with warnings or remainders" but i only want to highlight if it has warning messages, i dont need to highlight if there's no warning (remainder messages should be ignored and not be flagged to be highlighted.) So there is a variable number in between the words "was/were" and "warning message"

See Sample status below:

Don't Highlight:
JOB_ AVCDDE_123456 Script completed with warnings or remainders. There was no warning message. There were 2 remainder messages. Script ran for 52 minutes and 31 seconds. (Elapsed: 3151 Interactive: 0 Processing: 3151)

Highlight:
JOB_ AVCDDE_123456 Script completed with warnings or remainders. There was 1 warning message. There were no remainder messages. Script ran for 52 minutes and 31 seconds. (Elapsed: 3151 Interactive: 0 Processing: 3151)

Upvote 0
How to formulate

Hi Guys! sorry i think i wasn't clear on my initial question.

If i have below sentence and i want to highlight the whole row (my range is from A2 to G) whenever it detects the phrase "there was 1 warning message" on column G. However, my problem is sometimes there is more than 1 warning message. So "1" is really a variable and is always changing.. how can i set up the conditional formatting rules for this? Any ideas on how to proceed?

=COUNTIF($A2:$H2,"*there was 1 warning message*")>0

Code:
Script completed with warnings or remainders. There was 1 warning message. There were no remainder messages.

Upvote 0
Re: How to formulate

try

=COUNTIF($A2:$H2,"*there was*"&A1&"*warning message*")>0

with the variable in A1

Upvote 0

@LeanneBG
Please do not post the same question multiple times. All clarifications, follow-ups, and bumps should be posted back to the original thread. (rule 12 here: Forum Rules).

I have merged both threads

Upvote 0

Sorry for this Fluff. And thank you for informing me.. wont happen again

Upvote 0

Hi AlanY, should i put the variable in cell a1? What if i'm not sure what the next number will be..? The number is really random and will depend on how many errors/warnings the process will have

Upvote 0

Hi AlanY, should i put the variable in cell a1? What if i'm not sure what the next number will be..? The number is really random and will depend on how many errors/warnings the process will have

this will yield true for any number of error messages

=COUNTIF($A2:$H2,"*there was*warning message*")>0

is that what you wanted?

Upvote 0

Yes, the variable will always be numbers, and will not really exceed 100. But sometimes it yields a "there was no warning message". I dont want to highlight if it will say "no" in between there was and warning message.

Upvote 0

let says

A2 and B2 both has "there was 1 warning message"
and H2 has "there was no warning message"

what to you want the CF to do?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back