Conditional formatting time in minutes glitch?

SunTrader

For Excel 2007 -

I've got a worksheet with over a thousand filled cells with time 1:30 PM style (this might not matter I suppose?). It has a "start-time" of sorts of 6:00 PM and advances a minute at a time thereafter.

A check-cell, that I manually adjust, applies conditional formatting to the sheet based on this cell's time value. Everything works fine ... until it gets to 6:00 PM, 6:26 PM, 6:44 PM and I suppose many other minute times further down the timeline. I've tried changing the layout as well as of course using another worksheet but no luck. I've used both +Time(0,1,0) added directly in each cell or adding same but by way of referencing a master step cell. Always the same result.

I think I vaguely remember reading something a while back off a google search about this phenomenon but no workable solution??? Not sure?

Appreciate any assistance.

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
? So what is the problem?
Conditional formatting is trying to evaluate what?

Upvote 0
? So what is the problem?
Conditional formatting is trying to evaluate what?
When I change the time in the check-cell from the start-time 6:00 PM minute by minute it color highlights as it should 6:01, 6:02, 6:03 .... but then does nothing when it gets to 6:10. Works again at 6:11, 6:12 etc nothing at 6:26. Starts working again at 6:27 .... and stops again at 6:44. And so on. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the nonworking cells so I am stumped.

Upvote 0
When I change the time in the check-cell from the start-time 6:00 PM minute by minute it color highlights as it should 6:01, 6:02, 6:03 .... but then does nothing when it gets to 6:10. Works again at 6:11, 6:12 etc nothing at 6:26. Starts working again at 6:27 .... and stops again at 6:44. And so on. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the nonworking cells so I am stumped.
Why should 6:01, or of those cells, be highlighted?
I understand your trying to use "Check Cell" to feed your criteria, but can you copy that conditional formatting formula?

Upvote 0
The combination of accumulation of floating-point error and whatever conditional formatting formula you're using is probably the problem.

If you want to increment by minutes down a column, round:

=mround(a1 + "0:01", "0:01")

Upvote 0
Why should 6:01, or of those cells, be highlighted?
I understand your trying to use "Check Cell" to feed your criteria, but can you copy that conditional formatting formula?
Just simple basic - cell value equal to {check-cell# in this case $Q$2}

Upvote 0
The combination of accumulation of floating-point error and whatever conditional formatting formula you're using is probably the problem.

If you want to increment by minutes down a column, round:

=mround(a1 + "0:01", "0:01")
Ok that worked, strangely for 6:26 but not 6:10?

Tomorrow's another day - to add snippet further down the timeline to see if it is only 6:10 and go from there.

Thnx

Upvote 0
You've not said what your CF formula is or what you're trying to do, so ... good luck.

Upvote 0
Thnx shg your reply last August .... =mround(a1 + "0:01", "0:01") ... was spot on and saved the day. Better late than never but thanks again.

Anyway of course now I got another one I am stuck on if you can kindly help as well.

I've got two columns of dates/times both defaulted to 3/14/01 1:30 PM format. First column starting from 6:00 PM has (minute) time values in clockwise order but with some duplicates as well as some gaps - as an example 6:00 PM, 6:01 PM, 6:01 PM, 6:04 PM, 6:06 PM etc. Second column starts from 6:00 PM but continues minute by minute uninterrupted till same time (6:00 PM) following day.

What I am trying to accomplish is to identify, along side second column lining up with each minute timeframe how many values from column one match it. So using the times I mentioned in first paragraph as an example:

6:00 PM 1
6:01 PM 2
6:02 PM 0
6:03 PM 0
6:04 PM 1
6:05 PM 0
6:06 PM 1

Hope I am clear.

Oh also BTW I used your prior advice ... =mround(a1 + "0:01", "0:01") ... to make sure these time values, which are grabbed from another worksheet are true exact minute values, but I am stumped how to accomplish what I need. I tried countif many different ways and other functions with no luck. Appreciate if you something else you can suggest.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mystic19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back